Thanksgiving Cooking Countdown!

Monday - made peanutbutter cookies, chocolate chip cookies and 2 kinds of biscotti.

Tuesday - chocolate dipped the biscotti and made 2 icebox fruit cakes (one soaked in brandy)
Set the brine for the turkey

Wednesday - we will start some prep this evening so all we have to do is bake tomorrow - turnip and sweet potato casserole, dinner bread needs 6 hours to rise, turkey has to go in for a 10 12 hour roast time.

Beautiful pies, Lisa!

Quote:
Those look delicious!!! I l-o-v-e pumpkin pie!

I use a turkey cookie cutter and make a pie dough turkey and bake it on top of the pie. Especially pretty if you brush it lightly with a beaten egg or cream before cooking. I do the same for my pecan pies but I'm not making them this year.

ETA: There are a lot of posts from people who brine their turkey....do you all realize that store bought turkeys are injected with salt? Look at the nutritional information....mine is 270 mg per serving of sodium.

Last edited:
Turkey has been tossed in the brine......
I think I'll assemble the macaroni casserole after the dishwasher is done. No dressing this year, it's just me and hubby and neither of us eat much of it anyway, so that's not being prepped. Everything else happens tomorrow..... dumplings, butter beans, baked potatoes and sweet potatoes, rolls......
Easy going for me this year.

I prepped stuffing ingredients & sweet potatoes; made cranberry sauce; baked some sugar cookies; and brined the turkey. It took all day.

My teens volunteered (insisted, actually) to each make a dessert. Guess how many desserts they made? None-nada-zero-zilch! They argued and postponed and "oh, after I take a shower"...
th.gif
Good thing my SIL baked today!

Sweet potatoe pies in the oven right now. Of course I am only supervising this year as I am not to lift anything heavier than a coffee cup since surg last week. Peas and butter beans cooking . Turkey fried. Squash casserole ready to bake. cornbread dressing in the freezer ready to thaw and cook. Broth for dumplings ready to drop dumplings in the am. We are going to my brothers and that is what is going from our house. Lots of other things my siblings are preparing. Can't wait. MMMMmmm I love Thanksgiving meals.

Got almost everything done
smile.png

2 pumpkin pies in the fridge, got all the veggies prepped for stuffing/steaming, have fruit ambrosia salad ready for cool whip, turkey is ready to be rinsed off and set in the oven in the am, and Katy's rolls are made and ready to go!! I also made the giblet gravy ahead of time for the msot part... its just waiting for the drippings and a bit more flour.

BTW those rolls are amazing!! I had to cut recipe in 1/2 tho cos it was just too much for us.

I love Turkey Day!! I just love being able to cook things from scratch
smile.png
AND know it was appreciated for the holiday too!

Woo hoo! Got 2 pumpkin pies, one apple and one pecan pie baked today. Four dozen peanut butter cookies baked. The turkey is washed, the neck is boiling, and the onions are chopped! Next chop some celery. DIL helped!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom