Thanksgiving HELP!

Bake a stuffed 8-12 lb. turkey at 325F for 4 - 4 1/2 hours, per Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.

Here is how I do it so it doesn't dry out: Put a quart of broth or water in the pan. You could probably use brineing mix, although I never tried that. Leave the lid on the roasting pan real tight for the first four hours--if your roasting pan has those little vents, close them up. At this time you do not need to baste it, you can go about making all the other stuff. After 4 hours, take the lid off and rub a stick of butter all over the top, and baste with pan juices. Crank the heat up to 375-400F (I haven't had a very good oven for the past 12 years that I've made turkey this way, so "bread oven temperature" is about right). Wait, oh, 15-30 minutes, until the skin gets nicely browned. Baste every 10 -15 minutes at this point. You may need a helper to get the turkey from the roasting pan to the serving platter when done. I use a rack inside the roasting pan, and I let it rest for 20 minutes after I take it out of the oven, but I often still end up cutting slices and arranging them nicely on the platter instead of serving the whole bird, just because it's such a pain in the butt to get it out of the pan.

You could probably soak the turkey in brine the night before per Alton Brown, but I never tried that. Maybe this year I will try. Anyway, this will produce a very very moist and tender turkey with crispy skin. The only downside is that it is extremely hard to transfer to a platter and cut nicely.

Once you have the turkey out of the pan, put the pan on the stovetop and add 3 cups of broth and 2 cups of wine (Madeira is nice for this) to it. Turn the burners on medium. You can cook the giblets in a saucepan with water, chop them very fine and add that to the pan. Simmer this for about 15-20 minutes, stirring and scraping the little burnt bits and skin off the bottom of the pan--you want as much of those little crispy bits to get into the gravy as possible, they are yummy. In a separate cup or canning jar or something, put 1/4 c. flour. Scoop up about 1/4 cup of the boiling liquid and wisk into the flour, or shake real hard if you put it in a canning jar. When it's a smooth pasty goop, stir that into the boiling pan liquid, wisking as needed to blend it in and keep it from getting too lumpy. Then add about 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary, salt and pepper to taste, and simmer until the whole mess thickens into gravy.

Quote:
I have been cooking the bird for 25+ years, and prefer to use the oven bag, it makes clean up easier too. Use the dripping from the bag to make your gravy.

Quote:
What a great idea! I never get to cook for holidays any more and I miss it.
sad.png
However I have a Turkey in the freezer so I may try this method on a normal sunday. Thanks!

cheese cake it is easy 1 small tub of cool whip or whip topping they cost around 89 cents 2 pks cream cheese 1/4 cup of sugar mix all together(soften the cream cheese first) oh and 1 tsp vanilla or lemon juice pour in grahm cracker crust and top with any fruit topping you want I use cherry pie filling or strawberries or blueberry pie filling. they are wonderful and really cheap to make. I just used the last of our food stamps today we just get 59.00 a month for a family of 4. but By the grace of God and a true angel here on byc.sent me a walmart gift card that bought our family this years thanksgiving dinner. If it had not been for her we not be having thanksgiving this year. I thank her very very much and appreciate her more than she will ever know. They dont have the boxes here where I live, but this Woman is a true angel sent from God in my opinion.

i love dressing with cranberries in it!!!
wee.gif
yeh turky day!!!!
make lots of pie !!!! thats what i want this year! pie and mashed potatoes and gravy!!! last thanksgiving i was pegnant and had gestational diebeties and my doctor said absolutly no pie!!! and only 1/4 c. of potatoes. he said he didnt even want me to look at a pie! ...........this year I WANT PIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
check out allrecipes.com they have tons of great recipie and tips!

Stuff the turkey, put oil on it, cover loosely with a tent of aluminum foil and bake at 325 degrees. Allow about 20 minutes per pound. Our chickens are about the size of your turkey and I bake them for two or two and a half hours.

Oh I forgot. You take the foil off about a half hour before it is done so it can brown.

DH & I used to cook 20lb. birds. We would stuff them at 10 or 11 p.m., put them in the night before and let them cook all night. There was a little bit of wine consumed during the prep phase, which was great fun. So nice to wake to the smell of a cooked turkey and know that there was that one thing to cross off the list.

A 10 lb. bird? I'd do that morning of. Remember, if you get behind schedule, you can cook the stuffing separate.
I always do homemade cranberry sauce. Berries, sugar, water, some orange... easy, breezy!

Back
Top Bottom