Thanksgiving HELP!

We don't put the bird in the oven...DH bbq's it. Been doing this for years and that is the only way my FIL will eat it. It tastes sooooo gooooood!!! Good luck cooking dinner for your family!!! Hope all turns out well!

If its your first I will pass on some info I should have givin my step sister when she wanted to cook her first one.
REMOVE the neck and gibblet bags!!!!
gig.gif

While she was cooking her first bird she couldnt understand why there was a burning plastic smell in her house. Good thing her dad decided to stop by so that the bird wasnt trashed. Good luck! Im sure you will do fine, we all look back and enjoy the memories of our family dinners around this time of year. (even with so called mistakes its just funny years later
big_smile.png
)

You mean you're going to cook and eat and then go to FIL's house for a showdown?

"((Hubby and I had a LLLLOOOONNNNGGG talk about his dad last night. We are going to his house on Thursday (NNNNOOOOO!!!!) and while we are there, we are going to have a talk with FIL about the situation))"

That's going to become a very unhappy Thanksgiving- stay home and cook, enjoy your own family and let FIL do his own thing. Talk to him later if you can.

As far as dinner, I do just a turkey breast, roasted on top of a barge of stuffing. Baked sweet potatoes, the classic green bean casserole, bread rolls and pumpkin pie. Cranberry sauce and gravy as the sides. I do what I can from scratch, but whatever I can't do, I buy! I try to avoid that, but with work there's just no way around it sometimes!

Quote:
I have been cooking the bird for 25+ years, and prefer to use the oven bag, it makes clean up easier too. Use the dripping from the bag to make your gravy.

excellent advice! I did this for at least my first five thanksgivings and had a perfect turkey everytime.

here is how I make our canned sweet potatoes for the kids:

1 can sweet potatoes - drained
1 handful of pecans - chopped
1 handful of dried apricots - chopped
1 small can of pineapple tidbits
2/3 cup of brown sugar

mix everything togther in big bowl - great kid job
pour into casserol dish
cover with marshmellows - another good job for the littlest kid

bake in oven until warm and marshmellows are melted.

Back
Top Bottom