Thanksgiving? in the UK!!!

ME!
smack.gif

I'll tell you, I laughed so hard when I read that though. I've got a friend whose family serves both Turkey and Ham at every major holiday -- Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter -- and this was always a topic for us because I, admittedly, have very strict "rules" about holidays and meat. I'm not one for rules, normally, but when it comes to this... there just have to be some.

Turkey is for Thanksgiving.
Ham and/or Goose is for Christmas.
Lamb is for easter. Suckling pig is an acceptable substitute.

That's it. That's all she wrote. No exceptions!
lol.png

Anyone that don't serve both ham an turkey grew up in a small family. We have about 40 people here for Thanksgiving, Christmas an Easter.

We serve 2 turkeys an 2 hams.

One turkey is cooked in the oven an one is deep fried.

One ham is in the oven an one is in a slow cooker boiling in Coke.

I'll hunt the prune cake recipe....

Dirt cake is a tradition here too....(Oreo's, whipped cream, instant vanilla pudding an cream cheese.)

Anyone that don't serve both ham an turkey grew up in a small family.

Nope. My mother is one of 12 children. We're more spread out now, but I grew up with family gatherings of 50+ people. These days we have 30-45 depending on the holiday.​

Quote:
Okay, we are not geographically that far apart. How come I have never heard of that? Is it like a picnic ham? Has it been cured or is it a large bit of pork shoulder? You need to get those 40 plus people together and write the 'rebelcowboy dirt cake cookbook.' I am serious. really. I'd buy one.

Quote:
Rebel may have a cute avatar, but he's VERY wrong on a few points. No pinto beans & slaw. No PRUNE (???) cake/pie. You need sweet tatos/yams with brown sugar on top and pumpkin pie.

[you are very sweet to think about treating her like this]

Buffy dear, I'll forgive you what with you being a yankee and all. You serve cole slaw every dang chance you get. I eat cole slaw on my hotdogs - mustard, onions, and cole slaw makes a perfect hotdog. Cole slaw is good on a pulled pork sandwich too. Pinto beans, cole slaw, cornbread and fried potatoes, aka a poor man's supper, is one of my favorite comfort meals. MEALS, not foods; I need lots of comfort.
I don't do prune cake. For me, cakes are for birthdays. Thanksgiving is all about the pies - pecan, sweet potato pie, and cobbler, preferably blackberry.
Corn pudding, greasy beans (was so glad when I find out my DH hates green bean casserole), yeast rolls, mashed taters and gravy. This past year we included fried okra and everyone loved it. If the kids are with us, I fry cabbage.
I agree though it depends on what region of the country you're from.

Prune cake

3 eggs

1 cup butter or Veggy oil

1 1/2 cups sugar

2 cups flower

1 tea spoon each of:

Baking soda

cinnamon

nutmeg

allspice

venilla

1 cup buttermilk
an
1 cup prunes (we use baby food prunes)

Put in about an 8 by 10 cake pan an bake it.

Icing...

1 cup buttermilk

1 tea spoon baking soda

1 table spoon white syrup

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup butter
an
2 cups sugar

cook on eye till light brown an pour over cake while still hot an the cake is still hot....

Its a must have for a lot of my family at every holiday.

Last edited:
THANKYOU! I am going to make this this Thanksgiving!
big_smile.png

I like trying something new each year.

is white syrup corn syrup- Karo??

Last edited:
Coke ham is a raw ham cut enough to fit in a slow cooker then the cooker is filled with Coca Cola Classic till the ham is covered. The you cook it at 180* for 12 hours or more till the whole ham is 180* an soft.

the coke sweetens the ham an adds flavors an it breaks it down making it very tinder.

Cook book is out... Family would kill me for giving away to many secrets.

But dirt cake is great for kids birthdays with gummy worms in it served in a planter an a fake flower sticking out the top.

Back
Top Bottom