Thanksgiving? in the UK!!!

I guess the ham is a local thing. I'm just outside Chattanooga where the first Coke bottling company is.

Heres dirt cake.
dirt_cake-300x225.jpg

Heres a recipe for it.
http://ourkitchenfavorites.com/oreo-dirt-cake-recipe/

Not mine, but close. Mines secret.

I love making pumpkin praline pie. Pumpkin on the bottom, gooey caramel pecans on top. With rum sauce. Which is pretty much sweetened whipped cream with rum mixed in
smile.png

I know people up here make the coke ham, too. My BIL also makes a really scrumptious ham with, I think, Dr. Pepper.

Quote:
Rebel may have a cute avatar, but he's VERY wrong on a few points. No pinto beans & slaw. No PRUNE (???) cake/pie. You need sweet tatos/yams with brown sugar on top and pumpkin pie.

[you are very sweet to think about treating her like this]

Agree with you there. Real cranberries in sauce is always nice. Only a Turkey is needed unless you have more than 8 people. What is Prune cake pie? Sounds like it might be good but I thought it was sweet potato pie down there. He's got everything else right though. A lot of people also like corn and green bean casserole. can't forget the rolls either. You also have to eat until you can't move.

Quote:
Rebel may have a cute avatar, but he's VERY wrong on a few points. No pinto beans & slaw. No PRUNE (???) cake/pie. You need sweet tatos/yams with brown sugar on top and pumpkin pie.

[you are very sweet to think about treating her like this]

Buffy dear, I'll forgive you what with you being a yankee and all. You serve cole slaw every dang chance you get. I eat cole slaw on my hotdogs - mustard, onions, and cole slaw makes a perfect hotdog. Cole slaw is good on a pulled pork sandwich too. Pinto beans, cole slaw, cornbread and fried potatoes, aka a poor man's supper, is one of my favorite comfort meals. MEALS, not foods; I need lots of comfort.
I don't do prune cake. For me, cakes are for birthdays. Thanksgiving is all about the pies - pecan, sweet potato pie, and cobbler, preferably blackberry.
Corn pudding, greasy beans (was so glad when I find out my DH hates green bean casserole), yeast rolls, mashed taters and gravy. This past year we included fried okra and everyone loved it. If the kids are with us, I fry cabbage.
I agree though it depends on what region of the country you're from.

I lived in Tx for 7 years and I remember the cole slaw thing. They do serve it with everything. That and SWEET iced tea. Ordered iced tea at a Popeyes and it came with so much sugar I had to poor it out. I love dirty rice.

Rebel, your family would probably lynch me but it sounds like you all put on a good meal.

Quote:
Well, there are exceptions when your daughter-in-law is Jewish. LOL. Sorry, the suckling pig is out. Then again, when she's not here, sounds delish!
For us it's
Turkey for Thanksgiving
Turkey and ham for Christmas or Ham and fried chicken
nobody likes lamb so again, it's ham and fried chicken. Both go well with potato salad which is a given on Easter (good way to get rid of all those hard boiled eggs).

Back
Top Bottom