Thanksgiving recipes

arabookworm

Songster
11 Years
Oct 27, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
we are thinking of hosting thanksgiving at our house for the first time this year, and we aren't completely sure what to make, so I thought it would be extremely helpful for me, and probably for others too, if you guys would post about what you are making for thanksgiving this year. I appreciate your help!

I would say
yippiechickie.gif
first time in 20 years I dont have to do Thanksgiving.But my hubby and daughter whined so much I am gunna do one the day after...
hit.gif

I do my turkey in aluminum foil GREAT no batsing and cook in no time bin doing it that way in or familay for 40 something years..
Roasting turkey in aluminum foil:
8 to 10lbs 450. 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hour
10 to 12lbs 450. 2 3/4 to 3 hours
14 to 16lbs 450. 3 to 3 1/4 hours
18 to 20lbs 450. 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 hours
22 to 24 lbs 450. 3 1/4 to 3 3/4 hours
And yes thats 450.degrees this receipe if staight from Betty Crockers New Good and Easy cook book..
Have always had a perfect turkey..Make a tent with the foil trying not to touch bird with the foil..Juicy and moist everytime...

I always cook as if we are having a crowd. If we have a crowd wonderful!
If not, we eat Thanksgiving dinner for a week.
tongue.png

This year's menu

Turkey and stuffing
Mashed potatoes and gravy
yams
glazed carrots
Corn pudding
broccoli casserole
cranberry salad
Rolls and butter
Cranberry sauce
Pumpkin Pie and whipped cream
Sour Cream Cherry pie
Relish tray
chips, salsa and dip
wine, coffee, sparkling cider

We have a big family get together where everyone brings at least one dish. I always make a very yummy sweet potato casserole (happy to share the recipe if you want it) to go with the:

turkey
ham
dressing (stuffing, that isn't stuffed)
mashed potatoes
potato salad
green bean casserole
peas
corn
collards
deviled eggs
and about a dozen or so desserts that everyone else brings.

well I am all for doing fabulously different things, but the kids would never hear of it, we have the standard menu, I'm allowed to have creative license with that but the basics are required.

for appetizers:
black olives
sweet pickles
dill pickles
deviled eggs
cheese dips

for dinner:
Turkey
stuffing
mashed potatoes
candied yams
salad
gravy
rolls
cranberrry sauce . . . from a can only

for desert:
pumpkin pie
apple pie

pretty basic, but boy can I get creative with the limits set!

the best advice I can give you is this; everyone likes to help and bring something - take them up on the offer! when they ask what can they bring, either tell them the menu and let them pick their specialty, or in the place of necessity (bad cook, dirty kitchen, low budget etc . . .) assign; for example my grandmother dearly loves to participate, but age and dementia has made her creativity a little too much for most of us to handle, so I ask her to bring the rolls from our favorite bakery. I could make them, and would love to, but she get's soo into it; calling the bakery to order weeks in advance, making sure whoever is picking her up knows that they have to allot enought time to stop by the bakery . . . it's those things that the holiday is all about . . . college kids are always good for black olives or soda LOL!

Last edited:
Quote:
My ex-MIL does goes all out with a Mexican menu for Thanksgiving. My oldest son (her grandson) loves it since he has his traditional meal with us.

LOL I thought about your thread last night . . . here is what i would make should my kids allow it (never going to happen)

Pheasant in blackberry sauce
Sweet corn pudding
portobella and cornbread stuffing
whole grain mustard and white wine gravy
roasted baby red potatoes w carrots and parsnips in parsley/garlic butter
cinnamon apple and cranberry compote
and for desert pumpkin bread pudding with whiskey butter sauce . . .
smile.png

sigh . . .

Turkey, either roasted or smoked on the grill
Dressing
deviled eggs
steamed broccolli with white sauce (like a hollandaise sauce) and crushed Ritz cracker crumbs on top
rum carrots
salad - we use several kinds of lettuce and an olive oil & vinegar type dressing
rolls
cranberry-orange relish
dessert--usually mince pie, pecan pie

for appetizers I like to do spinach and artichoke hearts in phyllo pastry, or else asparagus-ham rollups.

Last edited:
everyone's plans sound so good! now we just have to hope the new kitchen is in place in time
fl.gif
if not it looks like it'll have to wait for next year.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom