1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thanksgiving turkey help

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by scooter147, Sep 25, 2013.

1. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Ok guys I bought a couple big breasted white turkeys. They are both hens. They were hatched in late May.
    I will pick them up this Saturday.
    It's been numerous years since I've raised my own birds for T-day and Xmas so give me your best suggestions on:

1. feed and living conditions.
    2. When to butcher, how to store etc.

I can raise in a coop with run situation, coop and free range, coop and run with some free range.

2. Todd S

Todd S Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2013
    Aren't they ready to butcher at 16 weeks which is now?

3. scooter147

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    They definitely could be but I want them fresh. I don't want them sitting in the freezer for two months.

4. Todd S

Aug 21, 2013
    I was just curious. They may eat a tremendous amount of food in the next two months.

I have not raised turkeys yet, it's something I'd like to learn more about. The guy I get them from for Thanksgiving just got his a few weeks ago.

Anyone know how loud they are at slaughter age?

5. scooter147

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    The reason I bought two hens was so that I didn't have to put up with the potential gobbling. My guess is it will just be a few prrrrs and clucks.

6. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I've got 2 toms and 2 hens and the ALL gobble.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My hen turkeys have always gobbled. they're some of the most vocal animals I've ever owned!

8. Todd S

Aug 21, 2013
    So it sounds like a turkey and backyard won't go together. Do they start to gobble before normal harvest age?

9. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    The sound of a turkey's gobble doesn't travel as far as a rooster's crow...or a dog's bark for that matter but it seems to me they gobble every time there is a strange or loud noise.

10. waltandlori

waltandlori Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2012
    Richmond Dale, Ohio
    I had 2 toms last year and while I was building a new coop, everytime I drove another screw they would gobble. The wife said they were my cheering section, told them not to cheer that much some of the screws missed, they didn't care. A loud clap, drop something, almost anything will make them gobble. I didn't find it annoying or loud.

Walt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by