Thanksgiving Turkey Processing

No forklift involved...just my husband and 24 year old son!

When my husband went out to the pen to get him on butchering day, we all stood back to watch, He squatted down and braced himself to lift, then promptly started laughing as he almost fell over the top of the big guy. I felt bad for him, so took our big dual wheel wheel barrow over and helped him get the bird into it. He beheaded the turkey on a chopping block right in the wheel barrow.

It was kind of sad actually. I was saying goodbye to the turkey while the hubby got his supplies and the turkey looked at me, then laid his head on the chopping block and closed his eyes. My husband said he didn't even struggle. I can't watch the deed being done so went to the house. The hubby got smart and decided to use the bucket on the tractor to hang the bird and then the wheel barrow to transport him back to the house to butcher.

The same day our son butchered two of our spare Dark Cornish roosters. They both dressed out right under 5 lbs each, so we put a lot of meat in the fridge that day.

We will be sad to process our last BBW turkey, Crazy Cranberry. She is ultra friendly and LOVES to be petted. She fluffs up when you talk to her LOL. I am tempted to keep her but I want to avoid even more heart-break later when we are even more attached and she becomes ill.

I can't wait for next year though when we get our heritage turkeys and CAN make some pets to keep (and use to breed).

When my husband went out to the pen to get him on butchering day, we all stood back to watch, He squatted down and braced himself to lift, then promptly started laughing as he almost fell over the top of the big guy. I felt bad for him, so took our big dual wheel wheel barrow over and helped him get the bird into it. He beheaded the turkey on a chopping block right in the wheel barrow.

This is how we handled our 55 pounder a couple of years ago...

This was a solo job. The pic says 2004 but it was actually 2009 or 20010.

I know someone on here blasted people who blanket turkey. That's fine, to each, their own. I just wanted to post a picture of one I blanketed with a bacon braid and smoked. This was not my own raised bird
sad.png
, but next year I will do this exact same thing with a bird I raise. My bird got ate before my mother-in-laws and that's all that matters.
tongue.png

When my husband went out to the pen to get him on butchering day, we all stood back to watch, He squatted down and braced himself to lift, then promptly started laughing as he almost fell over the top of the big guy. I felt bad for him, so took our big dual wheel wheel barrow over and helped him get the bird into it.

We had some BBB this year. The hens weren't so bad ... about 35-40 lbs each, I think. The toms were over 50. We love(d) those little guys so much sometimes we'd carry them to bed if we hadn't put them in the pen before dark. Those adorable guys would burp when we'd pick them up. I miss them SO much. The ones we processed here my boyfriend did by himself.

I know someone on here blasted people who blanket turkey. That's fine, to each, their own. I just wanted to post a picture of one I blanketed with a bacon braid and smoked. This was not my own raised bird
sad.png
, but next year I will do this exact same thing with a bird I raise. My bird got ate before my mother-in-laws and that's all that matters.
tongue.png

Hey Hydroswiftrob! I didn't exactly "blast" anybody for blanketing their turkey, I just said that it changes the flavor. As you said. "to each, their own."

In our family we are a bunch of "golly turkey conis-freaks", to quote A Christmas Story. We genuinely love the flavor of turkey and don't want to cover or change it. Salt, pepper and a basting of some butter is all we use, the rest is "all up to the bird". They are always moist, tender and full of flavor.

As I said before, if this is how you like your turkey, then bon apetito! As for me, I like my bacon crispy with my eggs for breakfast, and my turkey to taste like turkey. Sorry.

~S

P.S. BEAUTIFUL BRADING JOB BY THE WAY!!!

Last edited:
Hey Hydroswiftrob! I didn't exactly "blast" anybody for blanketing their turkey, I just said that it changes the flavor. As you said. "to each, their own."

In our family we are a bunch of "golly turkey conis-freaks", to quote A Christmas Story. We genuinely love the flavor of turkey and don't want to cover or change it. Salt, pepper and a basting of some butter is all we use, the rest is "all up to the bird". They are always moist, tender and full of flavor.

As I said before, if this is how you like your turkey, then bon apetito! As for me, I like my bacon crispy with my eggs for breakfast, and my turkey to taste like turkey. Sorry.

~S

P.S. BEAUTIFUL BRADING JOB BY THE WAY!!!
Thanks!

Maybe "blast" was an extreme wording. We actually saved the bacon and had it the next morning with fresh eggs for breakfast. lol

I am also at a loss where the quote from A Christmas Story was in the movie. I have seen that movie 100 times and don't remember that. I am going to have to fire up the DVD tonight and find it. I thought I could quote every line from that movie
hmm.png

Last edited:
Thanks!

Maybe "blast" was an extreme wording. We actually saved the bacon and had it the next morning with fresh eggs for breakfast. lol

I am also at a loss where the quote from A Christmas Story was in the movie. I have seen that movie 100 times and don't remember that. I am going to have to fire up the DVD tonight and find it. I thought I could quote every line from that movie
hmm.png
"My old man was a golly turkey conis-freak", and something about a "turkey junky" I believe, is just before the 'Bumpis Hounds' bust in and steal their turkey.

Leading up to my favorite line, "SUNZABI@#IN BUMPISES!!!

I miss Darrin McGavin!

~S

Hydroswiftrob I asked my husband where that was in the movie and the mom is doctoring the boys eye after he shot himself and the father is picking at the turkey and wanting to know what is going on upstairs and she said everything is fine and you better not be picking at the turkey you will get worms as he is cutting himself a piece. My husband knows that story it seems by heart. Nice looking bird, how long did you smoke it for and how big was it?

Back
Top Bottom