Thanksgiving Weekend Babies!

Yay, great news on movement in all 7!!!

I'm 99% sure one of mine is a dud. It hasn't changed in appearance at all in 3-4 days, and has a suspicious ring.

I've been able to see veining in the other 6 and think they're all developing well.

I saw movement in one egg this morning, but the rest are already almost too dark to see inside. I'm wondering if that's because it's a darker shell, and therefore harder to see into in the first place, or if I'm somehow incubating them on convection.

I have buff orps and frizzle bantam Cochins due to hatch on Thanksgiving Day. Won't be cooking or celebrating the holiday this year so watching hatching chicks will keep my mind off a sad and lonely holiday (my wonderful husband is at home on life support ... He has ALS
and our daughter will be spending the holiday with my family in NYC this year). So I'm looking forward to watching the hatch.

Rosaleen--Chickens are an interesting distraction, cute and fuzzy--BO one of my favs. Sorry you all won't be together for the Holidays.

I candled a few of the eggs and one is a no-go and 2 are dark. Hen objecting to my interruption so only 3 candled. Guess I'll know by hatchdate: Nov 26. Patience.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, actually- all of mine are hopefully OE. Last week, I lost all of my hens to a predator. Once I recovered from the initial shock (but before I'd even cleaned up the carnage... that took some mental steeling), I took my eating eggs out of the fridge. I thought it would be nice if I could hatch out some babies from my poor girls. I picked out seven eggs from my EE girls. My rooster is a black copper marans, so I think the combination could be really pretty.

So, these eggs had actually just been sitting in the fridge for several days, destined for a breakfast burrito or something when fate intervened.

Rosaleen, I'm sorry that your Thanksgiving won't be the traditional holiday. The hatching will definitely be a distraction. ALS is such a cruel disease. If I lived close I'd bring you pie.

Geez Princess, I read last night your post about loosing all your girls. Most people don't realize domestic dogs are a greater problem than any wild predator.

Glad you could see thru the fog of the moment to grab the eggs out of the frig before they became breakfast. There is a fellow in FL who always stores his incubating eggs in the fridge because of the high daytime temps. So hopefully you will have a number of OE Thanksgiving weekend.

I was trying to win an auction and even fired up the 2 incubators. No one had bid at all and with one day left I was sure I would win!! Not so sure I will win . . . .

Back
Top Bottom