Thanksgiving Weekend Babies!

I pulled the hen off today just to see that she is turning the eggs an make sure she eat a little. I looked over the eggs, so warm, and looked for an X. She has been turning them for sure. ANd 2 someones added 2 eggs!!!

THe last time a hen incubated, I took the chicks as they hatched, carried in a 6 gal pail. LOL ANd the hen went on incubating. IN the end she abandoned the last 3 eggs, and those I put in the incubator, and hatched one more. THis worked well, so I will repeat this set up.

I started 6 eggs late on 11/3, and one on 11/5.

I candled today, and 4/7 are definitely developing. One is iffy to me, and the other two are too dark for me to see inside.
yippiechickie.gif

Hurray! Great to hear they are developing. I'm on pins and needles having to wait another day or 2 to check. Waiting is so hard . . .

I need some help here: other hens keep dropping in eggs, do I remove these? ANd an egg broke, dripping yolk over several eggs. Do I clean these?? Or remove the eggs? I would think the egg shell can't function correctly clogged with yolk.

Yes, I would remove the eggs that are being snuck in.

I had some eggs get covered in chicken poop around day 16 or so last time. I took a very warm washcloth and gently washed it off. I'm not sure if that's the "right" thing to do, but it made me twitchy for the hatching eggs to be so dirty.

Quote:
I feel the same way. At least this is yolk and not poo.
sickbyc.gif
But cleaning off yolk is so much harder as it requires warm water and lots of it. Not sure how an egg is effected by leaving the yolk or cleaning it and putting it back. Or just remove it permanently.

More eggs have been added and I have removed them; and another egg squashed. THe egg yolk is getting smelly. Found a RIR in the nestbox poking around while the BA was off the nest. I guess the only thing to do is remove all the eggs and clean them, clean the nest and putthem back. AND HOPE.

Back
Top Bottom