that egg sure was rough,lol.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bayouchica, Jun 9, 2009.

1. bayouchica

bayouchica Songster

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Just a reminder, look in the nestbox... before you stick your hand in there. [​IMG] Especially if it's a little more than head high...

I was collecting eggs around lunchtime today, busted my you-know-what... after the signal from my hand to my brain went off.
    SNAKE!!!! It's a rat snake about 3 ft long.
    [​IMG]

I'm not scared of snakes,this caught me off guard. One of my dogs ran in the coop to see what's up.I'm so glad we don't have any neighbors,lol.
    [​IMG]

He did get an egg, but I don't mind. I moved him since the chickens were fussing & took him down to our waterfront.

2. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Songster

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    hes a pretty thing glad you didnt kill him and the hand to brain thing hilarious

3. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks Songster

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    LOLOLOL! I would have screamed the most shrill of screams, pee'd on myself and then passed out.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I am really glad I live in NH where the biggest snake you see is generally a garter snake about 12 inches long. I don't think I could handle seeing creatures like that in my course of daily living.[​IMG]
    /don't like snakes that much.
    //don't hate them, just don't like them.

5. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    He's a gorgeous snake! I really love the pattern those rats have. Im glad you didnt kill him, thanks! I'd let one sneak off with an egg too. [​IMG]

6. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Glad it was ok for you, last time I stuck my hand where I couldn't see and hit a snake I came out of it with 6 puncture wounds from a rattlesnake. No, I didn't relocate it,,,,, it's head went to the emergency room with me! We have bull snakes around here that are great for rodent control and they are more than welcome to stay,,but their cousins,, no,,,,

7. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:that's why I freaked out when I saw the pattern on the snake I killed last week [​IMG] Luckily no one was bitten and it turned out to be a milk snake.

8. bayouchica

bayouchica Songster

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Quote:That's horrible, guess I don't blame you there.
    Before I came to live here,my DH almost stepped on an eastern diamondback on night. I haven't came across, just water moccasins& copperheads.

We don't see snakes everyday,sure they are there... but they mostly avoid us.

My just talked to my DH, he got a real good laugh on my account. [​IMG]

Miriam [​IMG]

9. CityChook

CityChook Songster

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Gads.... I think I might potty my pants if I saw that in the nestbox. Don't know if we have big snakes like that up here. I'll take snow for 6 months of the year anyday....

10. luvanimals3

luvanimals3 Songster

Feb 8, 2009
    Georgia
    For your sake I am glad it was a rat snake! We saw a rattlesnake dead on the side of the road it was HUGE! I hate it when people kill rat snakes. Makes me mad. Snakes scare me but I wont kill it unless it is poisonous. Snakes can do good things. We just dont see to many between the neighbor and us, around twenty six cats(all fixed) and most hunters! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: