that egg sure was rough,lol.

bayouchica

Songster
13 Years
Jan 23, 2007
N.E. Louisiana
Just a reminder, look in the nestbox... before you stick your hand in there.
smile.png
Especially if it's a little more than head high...

I was collecting eggs around lunchtime today, busted my you-know-what... after the signal from my hand to my brain went off.
SNAKE!!!! It's a rat snake about 3 ft long.
216_100_0895.jpg

I'm not scared of snakes,this caught me off guard. One of my dogs ran in the coop to see what's up.I'm so glad we don't have any neighbors,lol.
216_100_0903.jpg

He did get an egg, but I don't mind. I moved him since the chickens were fussing & took him down to our waterfront.

I am really glad I live in NH where the biggest snake you see is generally a garter snake about 12 inches long. I don't think I could handle seeing creatures like that in my course of daily living.
sad.png

/don't like snakes that much.
//don't hate them, just don't like them.

Glad it was ok for you, last time I stuck my hand where I couldn't see and hit a snake I came out of it with 6 puncture wounds from a rattlesnake. No, I didn't relocate it,,,,, it's head went to the emergency room with me! We have bull snakes around here that are great for rodent control and they are more than welcome to stay,,but their cousins,, no,,,,

Quote:
that's why I freaked out when I saw the pattern on the snake I killed last week
smile.png
Luckily no one was bitten and it turned out to be a milk snake.

Quote:
That's horrible, guess I don't blame you there.
Before I came to live here,my DH almost stepped on an eastern diamondback on night. I haven't came across, just water moccasins& copperheads.

We don't see snakes everyday,sure they are there... but they mostly avoid us.

My just talked to my DH, he got a real good laugh on my account.
lol.png

Miriam
smile.png

Gads.... I think I might potty my pants if I saw that in the nestbox. Don't know if we have big snakes like that up here. I'll take snow for 6 months of the year anyday....

For your sake I am glad it was a rat snake! We saw a rattlesnake dead on the side of the road it was HUGE! I hate it when people kill rat snakes. Makes me mad. Snakes scare me but I wont kill it unless it is poisonous. Snakes can do good things. We just dont see to many between the neighbor and us, around twenty six cats(all fixed) and most hunters! LOL

Back
Top Bottom