That is One Messed Up Leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoRoey

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 27, 2010
I don't know how this happened. We're taking her to the vet. Can someone please help? Just, with anything. How to fix it, if it can be fixed, how this happened. Thanks in advance.
-Neoroey

66523_hni_0033.jpg
66523_hni_0034.jpg
66523_hni_0035.jpg

Last edited:
Can be genetic or from feeding too high a protein level. Splinting by the vet and a course of certain vitamins may help. If it is the tendon in the elbow, they may be able to reposition it depending on how long it's gone on.....

If you look the other leg is turned also, this sounds cruel but at this age we normally put ours down. I have never seen one get fixed you spend all that money on the vet just to put it down later.

There is a guy on the UPA Forum that amputates his peafowl legs when they get like that.

So which is worse??????????

Agree with Steve , best to cull it. Yes it could be genetic, or diet. Sure wouldn't want to breed her.

Are you sure I couldn't just keep it or something? No breeding purposes. I just really like this one. Also, is she in pain?

Last edited:
Sure , see what happen, when the vet checks it out. Myself I don't keep birds with leg problem.

I'd rather something than nothing and a loss of money. Is she in pain?

Well, I'm sure she's in some discomfort as walking like that must have some difficulties, but how much pain can only be seen by you on how she acts or by the vet. The one leg may only be bending that way because the "bad leg" is bent, and that is the only way it can balance itself. If you have the time and the funding to help and care for a disabled animal, go for it. She will be a pet at best, but you are also talking to someone who made wheelchairs for a goose...and has 2 disabled Swans..... LOL. How long has she been that way?

Last edited:
I'm not really sure. The bird's only a couple months old. The other one that hatched had a big, bulgy neck. It died very soon and also had a bad leg.

I had a gamebird with this this year. If the other leg is fine, cut the bad leg off in the middle (where there naturally is a break). First, rub isopropyl alchohol on the bird's leg. Use a very sharp knife and cut off the leg half. Neosporin it and wrap the entire leg all the way up to where the scales meet fluff. Use an entire roll of gauze. Make it snug, but not tight. Use duct tape to secure gauze in middle, and put a square of it on bottom of it's leg. This will keep it from getting beat up on the bottom as the muscles on the other leg grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom