1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

That is the worst smell

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gabrielle1976, Apr 15, 2009.

1. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    [​IMG]

I had my first rotten egg. I opened the bator today to add water and my senses were asualted by a YUCKY smell. Kinda like a cross between a week old baby diaper full of sick baby pooh and something that died in warm humid weather [​IMG] I sniffed every single egg in my bator and came out with one very very smelly little quail egg. I was shocked as the last time I candled this egg a few days ago there was a moveing baby in it , It was one of my cracked eggs that I fixed with wax though.
    My question is my bator started smelling better almost instantly but still has a slight linger of fragrance. Will this go away [​IMG]

2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    It should. I put a poopy egg in my bator which immediately made it smell. i removed it, cleaned it, put it back in and smell be gone. But I have a fan on my bator...

3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    It is my thought, never put a cracked egg in your bator. Is the chance of saving one egg worth the chance of losing all your eggs? To me it is not.

4. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    You think that's bad? Try broody poo! Oh my bloody god! Even the chickens run for the door when the broody bird goes!

5. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    This is turning into Bad smell, or bad stink contest.

Any prizes for winners?

Perhaps 3 months old egg found in the bushes.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:You are on a roll... cracking me up today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by