That Neighbor - point to whichever side of your yard they live

Elphaba2140

Songster
9 Years
Mar 20, 2010
Northern Illinois
I know that some of you have “that neighbor”. I am new to chickens but grew up in the country and had ducks, horses and raised a pig for my FFA project in high school. That was a long time ago…
Now to the present-I have 19 -10 week old chicks from Cackle and McMurray. I also have 17 -3 week old chicks that we incubated in our classroom that I work in. My ex-carpenter husband built a Fort Knox coop and pen for my chicks that is in two pieces. We can move it around the yard this way. The big ones were able to go out at about 7 weeks. So..They have been outside only 3 weeks. I made sure of the LORE prior to getting them so I know I am able to have chickens. Well, the neighbor guy on “that” side of us comes over to the house earlier this week. He tells my husband that we need to have the chickens 25 feet from his property “according to the law”. Actually, my husband tells him, no we don’t. The law says “25 feet from any occupied residence”. We printed out the law and he walked it over to their home right away but he didn’t come to the door. We left the information in the door.
Now yesterday the Homeowners Association officer comes to the door to collect this year’s fee. And by the way..Blah Blah…chickens…I couldn’t hear it all because the dogs were barking like crazy. Sigh..What did he want? To tell us we need to make sure we keep down the noise and smell. REALLY? My coop is cleaner than my laundry room! The cardinals, and robins and doves make more racket than the chickens have even thought of. Mostly they just peep still. I did have some baby roo’s that started to crow that first week out but have since relocated to the freezer. So my husband reassured him we didn’t have any more roosters and we will cull off most of the pullets until we have 6-8. Another roo started to crow today (thought he was a she). There will be another session of Freezer Camp on Monday.
All this has left me feeling really upset. I know I am in the right. I am glad the neighbor came to us first but I am mad because I know they contacted to Association. I am hoping that they aren’t going to try to change the Association law so that I cannot keep the birds. I just have a funny feeling about them. We have lived here 10 years and never had a problem with them until now.
We are going to replace our fence this year and had originally told them we would get a shorter fence. After this incident I will replace the privacy fence with the same. Good fences make good neighbors they say.

I think that the "25 feet from any residence" applies to your neighbors residence too??
Is the coop 25 ft away from his house? If so... then you are good..and so just ignore the neighbor..
Good luck!

You're right about the birds in the trees making more noise than chickens. Not saying that chickens are quiet, just that birds are noisy. And some peep just like my little ones, and I find myself "tuning in" just to realize it's a bird in a tree.

Good luck with THAT neighbor and your homeowner's association.

Last edited:
Yes their coop is further than 25 feet from their house. In the law it says it doesn't need to be that far away from the owners home. During the winter I plan to tuck them under the back side of the house which will still be far enough away from either neighbor.

In general you cannot make a rule (or law) retroactive; meaning that now that you have chickens, the HOA must continue to allow them so long as you follow existing HOA rules and covenants. Anyways, it would likely require a change to the CC&Rs, which almost alwyas needs a large percentage of the property owners' approval--not something the board can do on their own.

Thank GOD I don't have an HOA where I live. We just moved here and zoning allows for 130 small fowl and 8 other animals, any combination of your choosing. Mrs Cravitz knocked our door down at 8 am the morning after we moved - til after midnight. I was not happy. She is old, informed me she was an attorney and we are only allowed 30 animals because she looked it up. I told her to go out back and count my chickens. HAHAHAHA!!! And I am thankful she hasn't been back.

Tonight there is a party with people of Hispanic decent and the music is decidely LOUD. Mrs. Cravitz informed us during her visit noise cannot be over 60 decibels. I wonder how often the police here ignore her calls.

I'm sorry that you have a neighbor like that. Perhaps now is the time to act in making sure you have friends in the neighborhood - especially on the board, if that's separate - and bribe them with eggs when you get some. The neighbor may drop the issue because you have the law on your side, but just in case he's thinking of trying to change the Association laws, now is the time to educate your neighbors that chickens aren't that loud and they give good returns. (And they're not smelly because you take care of their housing.)

Good luck.

Thanks for all your kind words. Yes Mrs. Cravitz is a pain in the butt and I image she is behind the husband coming over. She point blank told me one time it didn't matter how tall a fence we had all she has to do is go up to the second floor and look out the bedroom window! We are probably the closest to these people than anyone else on the block. I can't explain their sudden dislike for the chickens. I know they like birds as they keep a large feeder in their yard and a bird bath. I will certainly offer spare eggs when they start to lay. My guess is they probably wouldn't accept them. Thanks also for the info about the HOA rules. I was very concerned they would try to crowd me out with a new rule. I can rest better knowing they have no leg to stand on. I will keep them clean and there shouldn't be any problems.

She sounds like the type that will sit by her second floor window and tape you. I hate the fish bowl feeling.I would suggest you plant some timber bamboo along their side.I just planted some and it is going to be around 15 feet high one day soon.If I was in a warmer state it would be 30 feet!

Stay legal,ignore the neighbors,and block their view!

Back
Top Bottom