That Time Of Year

TARDIS37379

Songster
Apr 20, 2019
Mowbray Mountain, Tennessee 37379
My Coop
My Coop
This is the first year since 2014 that I don’t have new chicks. I have for coops and 110 hens who are all laying and the oldest is just over 18 months.
I welcome New chicken owners and help as I can. It’s exciting to see people enjoy chickens.
The trouble is so many people buy chickens without knowing, or understanding, what happens in about 4-6 weeks. The cute little ball of fuzz becomes a miniature dinosaur and is no longer welcome in the cardboard box in the den.
I helped a friend two years ago when his daughter bought 4 chicks at Rural King and came home with them. No food, no place to keep them, no waterer, no idea what she had.
After helping with a feeder, a waterer, a cage, a heat lamp, some feed, and a rider plate, they were set. They now how a dozen or so chickens and enjoy chicken keeping.
if you’ve been doing this for a while and have the opportunity, help someone out. I ended up with a flock of 18 barnyard mixes from Animal Control after the man who bought them was told he couldn’t have them in the city limits. I had the space and they were good layers.
As I build another coop this summer, we will transition the smallest coop and run to a foster home and take in homeless chickens.

Back
Top Bottom