That'll teach me.

Ascholten

Free Ranging
Dec 12, 2020
Jacksonville, FL
I went to feed them this morning, it's still mostly dark out, light is just beginning to show up.
one of the girls had a big lump on her back kind of under the feathers, I felt it and oh man it felt like a tumor!

I poked it and it wiggled and rolled right back into place, now im worried, What happened? This was not here yesterday, did you get in a fight or what? I seen something with a goose many years ago it got in a fight with a dog, and it was it's liver sticking out, so that thought immediately came rushing to my head.

So I pick her up and put her on top of the coop so I can get a much better look at her, what did you do to yourself sweetie? Im poking at the lump of tissue and it's rolling back and forth, like a lumpy growth would, so I start moving it around to see HOW it's attached to her, is it a stem, like a wart or tissue mass, or god forbid, she's cut and it's from inside her. So I push on it a bit more, rolling it around kind of, and it falls to the ground. Then it dawns on my half awake stupid carcass...

THIS One sleeps on the ground, UNDER the other ones.

Care to guess what that lump was?

<<<< ---- Going to wash my hands now.

Aaron

That's my thoughts too, I thought she was hurt and it didn't look like a normal turd, it looked like a fleshy lump like a lump of scar tissue or skin / flesh would look, in the dark which is why I started poking around. You try to keep them safe but they have ways of finding things to get hung up on, leave a patch of feathers hanging off, etc etc.

Well, at least that's my story and Im sticking to it !

Aaron

I am always amused to find that others also overreact to every little thing that could even remotely, possibly be a problem.

I once tried to cure one coop of cocci, only to realize that the "blood" in their poop was really undigested skins from the tomatoes I'd been feeding them.

Hope you washed your hands real well, Aaron!

Yah I disinfected them with a bleach solution I felt pretty foolish going into the house after fingering a lump of chicken poop going oh my what is this ??? but in the end, she was not hurt so that's what mattered most. I told her you BETTER give me an egg today for that !!

They listen so well right??? :D

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom