The 10th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Total hatched 6/15

Out of the 7 eggs that made it to lockdown I had 4 hatch yesterday (day 20 ) and 2 today (day 21). The last one didn't make it, the poor little thing was malpositioned and had its head between its thighs, I don't think there is any way it would have been able to pip in that position. :(

I'm actually really happy with the 6 that made it though, that's a 40% hatch rate which is the best I've gotten with shipped chicken eggs so far! :D

Here are the babies, they are all silkies. :)
DSC_0482.jpg

First out. More to come. My temp dipped a lot one cold day here and we are done heating with wood so this room got cold. Other than that temp seems spot on. Set about 3pm on Saturday, first faint chirps were 4am, first pip 8am, first out 6pm.

Honestly folks, if your hatching most or all chicks full day early your running temp a tad high. Didn't seem to hurt anybodies hatch rate though.

I have two thermometers in my incubator. I ran it 99.3-99.5 the whole time. Last hatch happened the same with my silkie blasting out at day 19 so this time I lowered my temps. It was more around 100degrees last hatch... it didn’t make a difference.

This is day 21 right? Not sure if I should keep the ones I think are DIS for a couple more days or take them out. I have one egg in there that is due May 1st.

Mama Heating Pad. There's a few threads about them on here. I'll see if I can find the one I was reading. They're a safer alternative to the heat bulbs and not nearly as expensive as the heat plates.

Ok, The one with the chicks looked like a heating pat of sorts. I usually use a heat bulb but I would love to use something different. The Brinsea one is just expensive.

4 of my six silkies hatched. I have two eggs to go. One has a pip and the other I don't see a pip but I have seen it move. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I was expecting a low hatch rate because they were shipped but not so.
Oh and my dog decided she wanted to be in on the fun and had her puppies this last Monday.

Attachments

• IMG_0197.jpg
    IMG_0197.jpg
    575.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0198.jpg
    IMG_0198.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0203.jpg
    IMG_0203.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 13
Got home from work checked on my hatching progress.

2 more quail so 41. Think they are done. Lost one that was not looking good rest are lively.

33 chickens have hatched. 1 was just about zipped out. Think hes out now. And saw at least 5 with a pip.

So may be able to add a few more before I get an absolute final total.

Will get a pic or 2 tomorrow. But have a variety of colors as most are E/E and then the rest are barnyard mix

Ok I decided to open the DIS. I kinda wished I hadn’t. Pretty sad and very dead. Fully formed, black feathers, they looked perfect other than both had some fluid in the membrane. One hadn’t finished absorbing and the other didn’t start.

So really opening didn’t tell me anything and I think next time I won’t try to find out.

Ok now I think I will go take pictures of my chicks to cheer myself up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom