The 4th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking we may set the eggs tonight, not really what I had planned but my 5year old really wants to help set them. He says if I do it in the morning then he won't get to help... Hmm decisions, decisions... They will have rested 8hours at 8pm.
I set mine as soon as I unwrapped them and marked them. My thinking is they can rest upright inside the incubator. They were on the road for three days. If they were a week old before they got sent, it would be really pushing it for me to expect a good hatch. When I unwrapped them, I kept them upright and did not tilt them at all. I won't turn them for three days and then just slightly for the remainder of incubation. I think that the less they are handled, the better. I don't plan on candling except the 7th, 14th, and day before lockdown. I didn't candle them before setting. It would just stress me out too much if the air cells looked scrambled. When I candle for the first time on day seven, that's when I will toss the infertiles and the quitters.

Good luck noahsmom!
thumbsup.gif

I set mine as soon as I unwrapped them and marked them. My thinking is they can rest upright inside the incubator. They were on the road for three days. If they were a week old before they got sent, it would be really pushing it for me to expect a good hatch.  When I unwrapped them, I kept them upright and did not tilt them at all. I won't turn them for three days and then just slightly for the remainder of incubation. I think that the less they are handled, the better.  I don't plan on candling except the 7th, 14th, and day before lockdown. I didn't candle them before setting. It would just stress me out too much if the air cells  looked scrambled. When I candle for the first time on day seven, that's when I will toss the infertiles and the quitters.

Good luck noahsmom! :thumbsup

Good to know :) we are going to set them tonight in just a little bit! I was hoping to wait a little longer but Noah is certainly giving me down the road over it and Im a little excited myself hehe ...
Good luck with your hatch too!!!!

I may have hit a snag in my hatching plans, since I've not heard back from the lady who I am buying eggs from, and she was in the path of the winter storm up north. :/ I did set 7 eggs from my two oldest pullets, but I set them on the 5th, intending to hatch them early and then set my other eggs Saturday. Hopefully they will arrive in time.

I was worried about the mid west storm as well, but it looks like eggs are on their way. Arkansas and Kentucky..thought they were getting storms, but guess not.
Hope you get your eggs soon.

Hello, joining in on the fun!
frow.gif

First time to incubate. Set eggs on 2-27-13.
Today is day 8 (3-6-13) and I candled 37 eggs. All but 2 look fertile. Good veins and even saw what looks like an eye bud, beating heart and a bit of moving around! So excited. I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch, but I'm soooo hopeful we can get a successful hatch. All eggs are from our flock. (2 roos and 10 hens)
Lockdown (day 18) on 3-16-13. They should start around 3-19 through 3-21-13 or so.
I have studied these threads, read books, watched videos, feel hopeful. BYC'er's are wonderful folks!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Yep, SPR is Silver Penciled Rock.
I've never seen them done that way. I have always seen and used SPPR. I have a trio here, but nothing hatched with their first set this year, so out goes the roo for a few days and I'm going to be trimming vent areas on my girls from that pen and a couple of other breeds. I really hate doing that, because I love all their puffy butts! Funny I've seen SPR a couple of times and wondered what they were and I own some. DUH! LOL

Dropped a 2x4 on my head a while ago when I went out to try and work on the Marans pen. Must have been out there a whole 2 minutes. I think I'll wait until the weather gets better and until this headache goes away. What a duffus!

Aschenfire my multi button isn't working, but where are you located? Maybe there's a BYCer near you with some eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom