The 4th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 7 hatched and 3 pips today - I'm shocked I got so many so early - out of 19 that went to lockdown, I think that's awesome!

celebrate.gif

Hey Sally did you see this? im really torn here...membrane is drying and so it tiny tuft of hair at pip. but still technically a day early and only pip....thoughts?

I'm not getting much help either, I feel like I'm really downing this thread
sad.png
but, I'm so new to this and it's so scary doing it alone.

Anyway back to that, This is what my egg was doing as well I could see feathers dried to the egg and when I noticed the outter membrane had turned brown it was TO late...The chick ended up flipping itself I believe to the wrong end of the egg (on bottom) and I never even noticed until I picked the egg up to check. It's whole body was stuck to membrane and egg it was so sad trying to slowly peel off the egg and not hurt the chick. I did wrap a damp paper towel around the egg all but the part where the chicks beak was, upped humidity and temp by .1 degrees and this really helped loosen things up to. I gave it around 36hours and glad I assisted or this chick would be dead. I would pick the egg up personally and check, I know it is preached here to not assist unless absolutely necessary but I'm reading a lot of those not assisting losing the chicks they wish they had assisted with, it's sad. I didn't trust my first instinct and now I wish I would have, this chick is having a foot problem and in it's own separate box in the brooder.

Last edited:
Ok....So I have a question. I had an egg pip this morning and right before I left for work it had cracked, not zipped. It is cracked about 1/2 way around the egg, like a pressure crack, not zip. It is still like that now that I am home almost 9 hours later. My concern is that the pip hole, Im not seeing a beak I am seeing furr, starting to dry. Also this egg in particular is very saddle shaped on one side. It pipped on the good side, but if it is twisted to the other side, where the saddle shape is, the membrane is going to be too far from the shell for it to pip/zip. I am thinking of assisting. While I wait for comments, I am going to go and look at sally's assist article, but appreciate any thoughts. This will be my first assist if I do, and first time Ive ever had this crack situation.

I assist if I notice them drying out while still in the shell. I had almost the exact same situation occur with my December bunch. His was the first egg to pip, but everyone else had hatched and he was still struggling. He managed to zip part way but I noticed the membrane dried and stuck to the chick so I helped it hatch the rest of the way by gently wetting the membrane with warm water and pulling apart the shell.

Quote: I'm not Sally, but if it only pipped this am I would leave it alone yet. It could still be absorbing the yolk . I would wait 24 hours since you noticed the pip. If in 24 hours it hasn't progressed then take it out and check it, then if you think it is stuck follow Sallys assisted hatch thread. In the meantime, breathe in.... breath out.

46 hatched 1 to go....... Congrats to all those with fuzzy butts.....Those still waiting I have fingers crossed for ya....sending happy thought out
fl.gif
hugs.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom