The 4th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I think I may have a broody hen. She has been sitting in her nest for 2 days straight and hasnt budged. If she stays at it I will set eggs under her for the hatchalong as well as in the incubator. How will that work for the hatch along? Do they count as 2 different sets or both together as a whole and how do I post a pic of the eggs being set under her just i guess after I place them under her take a pic before she sits back down? It probably doesnt really matter lol. Ive never had a broody before so this will be fun She is a new hen still in quatentine she was supposed to go with the main flock this sun her 30 days of quarentine are almost up but I can keep her where she is in the garage. If she really is broody I may ask lots of questions so bare with me lol.
Congrats! You don't need to take a picture of the eggs under the broody - no need to disturb her. Just say how many eggs you set under her and how many you set in your bator.

Today I got my first incubator (its my birthday)! So excited to start hatching eggs. I have it all setup and getting it to the right temperature. I have all my ducky eggs collected up and ready to go in (except for the ones I will get tomorrow). Can't wait to set my first set of eggs tomorrow at noon!
Happy Birthday!
yay!! my cuckoo maran is BROODY!!!
wee.gif
i wil lhave two batches going on for the hatch along, one in my brinsea and one under Miss cuckoo. She will feel a little cuckoo once shes caring for all her chicks!
Congrats! I'm hoping for a broody soon.
Haaaalp!! I need to set my eggs very soon, and I'd like to do so tonight, but the only thermometer I have for my incubator is the little one that came with it (I have a Farm Innovators - one of the cheap ones from the feed store that's styrofoam with no turner) I have a better thermometer-hygrometer ordered, but I have no idea when it will get here. Do you think I'd be okay to set the eggs and get them started? I really don't want to mess up this clutch. But the longer I wait to set these eggs, the older they'll get. The oldest egg is already 9 days.

And on a different note: lericson, Happy Birthday!
smile.png
Not familiar with that bator, but I'd set them.
Thank you, all! Perhaps I will experiment with the thermometer tonight and early tomorrow morning before setting eggs, then. I think we have a medical therm. that I can use to help calibrate the extra little one that came with the bator.
The little ones that come with the bator are not accurate. I tell you this from personal experience and having a bad hatch. Get an accurate thermometer, like the Spot Check.
Since I have a broody I am going to see if she will hold out till the 10th, but she's a newbie at being broody so she might quit soon if she doesnt think its for her.
roll.png

Give her 3-4 fake eggs, that will keep her content until you are ready to give her eggs.

It looks like today is the big day for those setting "mallard (derived) duck,goose, turkey, guinea: 28 days to hatch; set March 2nd".

I think we are supposed to take a picture of the eggs in the incubator, but I don't know where we are supposed to post it.
hu.gif

Yes, today is set day for ducks, goose turkey and guinea eggs!

When you are finished setting all your eggs, take a picture of your eggs and how many you set. If you have a broody, just tell us how many you set under the broody. Post your picture and how many total eggs you set here in this thread.

I am doing a staggered hatch with some eggs having been set yesterday and some being set in a few days- should I post them as I set them or when the official "march 9th day" is here? I already took pics of the ones i put in the incubator- just wanted to see when i should post.
Post them when ALL of your eggs are set.

Quote: Correct.

25 29 (I'm so excited I can't even count my eggs) Ducky eggs are set! - although those 12 empty spaces are looking like they need to be filled with Ameraucana eggs... I'll have to see if I can find any as I have no roosters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom