The 4th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess I am not alone...we made a cooler incubator especially for this hatch with a new wafer thermostat...not so much as a pip so far from 39. Can't even blame it on shipped eggs...aaargh:(

[COLOR=000080]Still absolutely NOTHING here. :hit   So depressed.  I wish I knew what went wrong!  I know they were alive at lockdown!  I saw several of them moving, they looked pretty good on development!  :confused:    Planning on candling and listening to all the eggs tonight as soon as it gets dark enough to candle.  Then will decide if we can assist any live ones.[/COLOR]

I just got home from being out all day and the very first thing I did was check the incubator. Nothing. No chicks, no zips, pips, or chirps. I guess once it gets dark I might candle but I don't have very high hopes.

Out of my ten eggs set 6 made it to lockdown. Hoping for at least one chick :(

Hopefully my turkey hatch goes better

HEYYY. I want to see how many chicks other people have hatched so far, can everyone please quote this comment and then say the amount you hatched! Cool thanks! Lets see!
jumpy.gif

Whats wrong with her?
What breed is DethHawk?
All the babies are Serama... Hawk is standing kind of vertical in the pic, but she/he has two 2 month old sisters who are wonderfully upright, so I am hoping the pair I am getting eggs from produce excellent babes

And I meant horizontal... gah. tired brain

Last edited:
Please help. What is going on here:

This was my assisted hatch. I'd really like to save her. What can I do? Advice?

My Easter Hatch: Set: 4 duck eggs 3 bantam eggs 34 barnyard mix chickens 41 eggs total Day 18: Discarded 4 clear from the barnyard mix chickens. Lockdown: 4 duck eggs 3 bantam eggs 30 barnyard mix chickens 37 eggs total to lockdown. Hatch: 0 ducks 2 bantams 21 barnyard mix 23 chicks total. I still have the unhatched eggs in the hatcher but I am not really expecting anymore to hatch.
It takes 28 days for ducks.

I missed getting my eggs into the incubators to participate in the Easter Hatch-A-Long, but mine are due on April 11th ! I am using 3 separate LG still-air styrofoam incubators. The incubators are on sale at Tractor Supply for only $35, as well as the egg turners for the same price. That's like wholesale prices, y'all ! They are still on sale @ TS thru' Monday, April 1st. They work pretty good for me; I get VERY good hatches out of them, and don't even rotate the eggs. Can't beat the price. I used to buy the ones w/ the fans, but found it doesn't make enuf of a difference to justify the bigger pricetag. Usually, I get 100% hatch rate, of all the FERTILE eggs I put in them.
These are the eggs I set that are fertile, as of last night's (first) candling --- 36 Coturnix Quail eggs, 10 White-Crested Black Polish, 3 EE, 1 Buff Orpington, and 26 Welsummer eggs.
I set the quail eggs so that they would be due to hatch on the same day as the chickens.
The Welsummer eggs are a gorgeous even dark brown, and HUGE, too. They came from Erhard Weihs, in Washington state. Erhard, Lowell Barber, and a couple of other guys were the ones that got the Welsummers accepted by the APA back in 1991, so I figured he had very good stock, and wouldn't send me "mutts" ( like some breeders will do ! UGH ! ). Erhard is a VERY nice man, VERY easy to deal with, and came highly recommended to me by someone in the Wel. Club of N. America. He will respond promptly to all emails. PLUS, he sent me 3 extra eggs, too ! What a guy ! In a short time, I have become a big fan of his !
bow.gif

Anyway, since I live all the way down in Florida, I was concerned about the eggs' long trip from Washington State. Erhard shipped then to me on Tuesday, the same day I asked /paid him for them, and they arrived on Thursday. He wraps each egg individually in bubble-wrap, and pads the sides around them in newspaper, and more big-bubbled bubble-wrap under and on top of them. One corner of the box was slightly crunched, like someone dropped it or bumped it really hard, and the egg in that corner was cracked, so I pitched it. I was worried that the remaining eggs had gotten too hard of a jolt, but ALL of the Welsummer eggs were fertile when candled last night !! YAY !! The only issue was a cool spot along one side of the incubator, and the 3 eggs on the end of the 3 turner racks along that one side looked like they started to develop for a few days, then died.
sad.png
This was the first time I had that problem w/ this particular incubator, and I KNOW it was because I was just careless when I replaced the lid after adding water, one time. So be careful, check all sides, and make sure you put the lid on tight, folks !
Best of luck to everyone with their hatches !
jumpy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom