The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
graphics-camera-241088.gif
Lets go people!
Snap them Gorgeous BOYS!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...wl-contest-5th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long

Contest #7

Most Striking Domestic MALE Fowl Contest!

5th Annual 2014 Easter Hatch-a-long!

Have a gorgeous male in your flock?

We want to see HIM!
ONE MALE domestic Fowl entry per Member,
up to three images of this same Male in order to show all of his STRIKING Features!
A panel of judges will determine the winner!

2 Prizes for the top 2 winners!

5 coupons for each winner!
In the form of manufacturer's coupons that may be redeemed for FREE bags!
Each coupon is worth a free bag of Nutrena NatureWise or Nutrena Country Feeds!

na3037912.jpg
na3039213.jpg

Courtesy of Nutrena

http://www.nutrenaworld.com

Contest #4
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...to-contest-5th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long

Brinsea’s Cutest Baby Fowl Photo Contest!

5th Annual 2014 Easter Hatch-a-long!

We are looking for the cutest baby Fowl out there!

animated-hearts.gif
animated-hearts.gif
animated-hearts.gif
animated-hearts.gif

A Panel of Judges will determine the winner!

The Prize:
Mini Advance Incubator

Courtesy of Brinsea

www.Brinsea.com

SEE RULES and HOW TO ENTER AT
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...to-contest-5th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long

Quote: Sorry things went so poorly for you.
hugs.gif
My hatches have improved dramatically since I got my Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance. It my just need a little tweaking. What model do you have?

Quote: That's still pretty high and should be fine. How did these 2 do?

Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh!!!
wee.gif

My broody accepted the chicks!!! For anyone not following, the chicks are 6 days old and I wasn't sure she would take them. Here's the story if you feel like reading on...

I waited until 10:30pm, gathered up the chicks in a box, and took them out. They were quiet at first, but then when I opened the box, they got real loud. So mama hen wakes up and freaks out. But not like an "intruders" freak out, it was like "oh no my babies are out." She clucked at them softly but urgently as I shoved one after another under her. A few popped back out and she clucked at them. One she pecked a bit - not meanly, just mama-like. They were still all making a lot of noise, and she continued to cluck at them until all noises stopped. Then... then...this moment...

one of the chicks came out from the side and she started clucking at it. But the chick went to her front and wandered about like it was lost, peeping away. She clucked more urgently.

...and the chick crawled under her chest.
love.gif

And I was like...
celebrate.gif
(quietly of course)

So, yeah. I'll get up before dawn to see how they do when they all wake up. But right now I couldn't be more pleased.
big_smile.png
That's wonderful news!!!!
ya.gif

Quote: Maybe the temperatures were a bit low?

My hen was given 10 eggs. They aren't "due" until Monday. Yesterday I found this!

Since I know I didn't let her have some of these eggs until the 31st, I'm holding out hope that she hatches more then one...
Yeah!!!
clap.gif

Please ignore previous question. She passed on her own. I made her as comfy as I could. Put her on a soft baby blanket beside me on my bed and pet her. It seemed to calm her some. Thank you guys for all the help with her. Especially @Cynthia12 , who stayed up helping me multipule nights.
So sorry she passed, but it woild be so hard to have to so one in. I'm so glad you didn't have to do it...
hugs.gif

So far nothing. Out of 32 eggs set, none have hatched, including both shipped and ones from my own backyard. Thanks Brinsea for your crappy incubators. I have never ever had a zero hatch before.

My Brinsea incubators are going to become full of shotgun shells later this afternoon. It is time to open my wallet and buy a real incubator like the Sportsman.
Please don't shoot them!!!! I'm sure lots of us would be happy to rescue them...myself included!
tongue.png

Alright, reporting in on my final hatch results.......................drum roll please................................

wee.gif
Six baby Ancona Ducklings and one Rouen!
wee.gif
100% Success!!!

ep.gif
Seven outta seven! And here I was hoping for 50%. lol.
woot.gif

Picture are definitely coming soon but I thought I would post my results first.​

Wow!!! Can't do better than that!!!
clap.gif

Hi just wanted to post my total: Set 16 and 15 hatched. All are under broodies, are healthy and eating and drinking and generally being darling.

I opened the egg that didn't hatch. It had pipped and begun to zip and last night was peeping up a storm. I don't know what happened it looked to be a fully formed chick. It's pip was a little low...about midline but I have had others pip there and do fine. I did pull it out quickly to check its progress 3 or 4 times yesterday. All the other chicks just burst out within about 6 hours of each other and this one was not getting very far very fast. I didn't do anything but look and replace. hope I didn't do it in
hit.gif

Happy Easter Everyone! I enjoyed playing along with you all
That is pretty arn good!!! Don't second guess yourself on the last one...just enjoy the 15 that did hatch.....
hugs.gif

Quote: So sorry she didn't make it, Whoops.....
sad.png

OKAY!!! No eggs left that I know of. I pulled out a yellow/lav ish chick. I am going to get pictures this afternoon. But I might have 5!!
Congrats!!!

So far today I have 22 of my original 29 that went into lockdown. There are 5 more eggs and 2 that pipped and then filled with liquid. Wha? The incubator is full of sleepy babies.

Sorry things went so poorly for you.  :hugs My hatches have improved dramatically since I got my Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance.  It my just need a little tweaking.  What model do you have?

That's still pretty high and should be fine.  How did these 2 do?

That's wonderful news!!!!  :ya

Maybe the temperatures were a bit low?

Yeah!!!    :clap

So sorry she passed, but it woild be so hard to have to so one in.  I'm so glad you didn't have to do it...:hugs

Please don't shoot them!!!!  I'm sure lots of us would be happy to rescue them...myself included!  :p

Wow!!!  Can't do better than that!!!  :clap

That is pretty arn good!!!   Don't second guess yourself on the last one...just enjoy the 15 that did hatch.....:hugs

So sorry she didn't make it, Whoops.....:(

Congrats!!! 

That's the only thing I can think of. Is the temps were to low because I had some eggs standing in tilted cartons and some laying down that the laying ones weren't as warm add they should have been. All I can do is pray

Our first try at incubation for an Easter hatch and all was going splendidly.My friend gave us 22 beautiful eggs, a mix of barred rock, Rhode Island Reds, and Black stars. Of the 22 eggs 21 were fertilized.. Last saturday however, one of the kids friends messed with the incubator and turned temps up to 110! So bummed, nothing hatching, we were holding out hope but I think we will have to try again and tape the knob down. Instead, being the mom I am I went and bought my children some welsummer/maran chicks and some silkies. I did not want tears on Easter, but I feel awful for all the little babies that didn't make it. Praying everyone else is having a better hatch day/weekend

I started with 36 eggs and put 26 eggs under three broodies after 14 days in a still air LG. The development was very inconsistent in the eggs. I believe it is due to the temperature variation within the incubator and the fact that I was out of town and my DH elevated the incubator from side to side to "turn" the eggs instead of opening it and hand turning. The titling caused the temperatures to vary from 103 on the "high" side of the incubator to 93 on the side that was not elevated. I should have just put the eggs under the broodies before leaving but I didn't want the hens sitting on anything I didn't know was developing well. Live and learn........
So far, there are 8 chicks out.....I didn't set them in the incubator until late evening on the 29th. With the temp problems, I'll give them some more time but it isn't looking good....
I'll post final numbers tomorrow after I see if any late bloomers show up.

3 out of 7 hatched from the bator, the silkie mixes must not have been viable or something. I'll candle them tonight. The broody hatched 3 of her 4, I'll candle the remaining egg under her tonight too. 6 out of 11 total so far isn't bad (for me anyway lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom