The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally have a baby chick!! Started with 12 eggs. 7 did not develop at all. 4 made it to lockdown. 1 hatched. So I have one little Easter chick. She is really cute though.

Aww, so glad you got one. It will want alll of your attention. :)

I have had nothing but problems with all the chicks that hatched today.

One early this morning pipped a vein and died...must have been one of the major veins, there was a LOT of blood.

Every single chick after that...16...had navel issues. So every single one got put in a cup, some for other reasons as well.

Had the last silkie/polish chick get stuck zipping, pip a vein, rubbery membrane...had to assist. There was a pool of blood in the bottom of the shell from where it had pipped the vein. Realized after I pulled it out why it had trouble getting out of the shell...its neck is super long, and it has some sort of bony growth on the back of the neck. Poor thing couldn't even lift its neck up until about 1/2 hour ago.

One of my eggs (EE x BR) couldn't get out after zipping. Helped it out by cracking the egg open (like you do over a pan to cook an egg) and it was bent over and couldn't lift its head. Pulled it out, and here a vein tube was wrapped around its neck! It looks like it has strangle marks on its neck!! Also, up under its beak is a huge bubble...reminds me of a bull frog's throat.

Three eggs pipped veins, but didn't bleed out.

GL Cochin x Lav Orp. hatched out and was bleeding profusely from its navel. Staunched the bleeding and put her in a cup in the bator. Checked on her 10 minutes later, and she was lethargic and COLD. Pulled her out, wrapped her up, put her between my boobs. Carried her around like this for an hour.

When I put her back in the bator, she folded over...feet behind her head, head down. She can't straighten up her neck, I have no idea what's wrong with her. Giving her till tomorrow to see if those neck muscles strengthen, if not I'll have to send her to chickie heaven.

One chick has spraddle legs.

Three chicks have curled toes.

Three more eggs to go, all pipped this morning, no zipping yet, but I can see their beaks moving.

I cannot wait for this hatch to be over.

Ok, I need alittle help here ! My hatch has been going great, started on Friday morning 5 am with a ton of pips ! Got home Friday afternoon to a BUNCH of chickies dancing in the 'bator. Saturday morning I had to start taking chicks out because they were piling up.

I'm noticing that some of the chicks are having leg issues and I'm not sure what to do for them, if I can do anything at all.

I have one with curled toes, I made her little boots.

I also have 3 that can't seem to get their legs up under themselves and are sitting back on their hocks. Don't know what the problem is or how to help

Otherwise I've had a very successful hatch. I set 80.....................................55 made it to lockdown ( early quitters and infertile eggs )............................so far 46 have hatched !! Lost one that zipped and died in shell :-( waiting on the other 8
Do you have band aids at home? Try and get the legs even, do this..
images

Well I don't think the rest of my eggs are going to hatch. I'm at 29 out of 43. Not too bad. I still have the others in the incubator, but I will let you know if they hatch, we are on day 22, and no pips, everyone else has been out for almost 24 hours.

Here is what hatched

11-Olive Eggers
13-Ameruacana's
3-Brown Leghorns
2-Welsummers

Olive Eggers

The Chipmunk Babies, 5 Ameraucana's, Welsummers and Brown Leghorns

8 Ameraucana's. Are these Blue Wheaten? They are all from Blue Eggs. I have 5 all Yellow, and then 3 that are yellow with blue stripes.

I have had nothing but problems with all the chicks that hatched today.

One early this morning pipped a vein and died...must have been one of the major veins, there was a LOT of blood.

Every single chick after that...16...had navel issues. So every single one got put in a cup, some for other reasons as well.

Had the last silkie/polish chick get stuck zipping, pip a vein, rubbery membrane...had to assist. There was a pool of blood in the bottom of the shell from where it had pipped the vein. Realized after I pulled it out why it had trouble getting out of the shell...its neck is super long, and it has some sort of bony growth on the back of the neck. Poor thing couldn't even lift its neck up until about 1/2 hour ago.

One of my eggs (EE x BR) couldn't get out after zipping. Helped it out by cracking the egg open (like you do over a pan to cook an egg) and it was bent over and couldn't lift its head. Pulled it out, and here a vein tube was wrapped around its neck! It looks like it has strangle marks on its neck!! Also, up under its beak is a huge bubble...reminds me of a bull frog's throat.

Three eggs pipped veins, but didn't bleed out.

GL Cochin x Lav Orp. hatched out and was bleeding profusely from its navel. Staunched the bleeding and put her in a cup in the bator. Checked on her 10 minutes later, and she was lethargic and COLD. Pulled her out, wrapped her up, put her between my boobs. Carried her around like this for an hour.

When I put her back in the bator, she folded over...feet behind her head, head down. She can't straighten up her neck, I have no idea what's wrong with her. Giving her till tomorrow to see if those neck muscles strengthen, if not I'll have to send her to chickie heaven.

One chick has spraddle legs.

Three chicks have curled toes.

Three more eggs to go, all pipped this morning, no zipping yet, but I can see their beaks moving.

I cannot wait for this hatch to be over.
OMG--the hatxh from He**l! What do you suppose the issues are that caused all these deformities? So sorry, I had a bad one too this wee--but not this bad--lost 4 of 15.

Broody hen, Anna, 4 year old Icelandic, with her 6 chicks, all Icelandics:

Have two other broodies....one with 2 chicks out and still on 6 eggs the nest.....other with no chicks out but still on the eggs.
fl.gif

This hen is beautiful! And of course, baby chicks..always cute!!

Well I don't think the rest of my eggs are going to hatch. I'm at 29 out of 43. Not too bad. I still have the others in the incubator, but I will let you know if they hatch, we are on day 22, and no pips, everyone else has been out for almost 24 hours.

Here is what hatched

11-Olive Eggers
13-Ameruacana's
3-Brown Leghorns
2-Welsummers

Olive Eggers

The Chipmunk Babies, 5 Ameraucana's, Welsummers and Brown Leghorns

8 Ameraucana's. Are these Blue Wheaten? They are all from Blue Eggs. I have 5 all Yellow, and then 3 that are yellow with blue stripes.
thumbsup.gif

Fingers crossed!
Yay! C'mon babies!
Hope they get going soon. Yes, low temps will delay the hatch.
Awesome!
Im so sorry. Accidents happen. Please do try again.
Well, 1 is good. Any chance of another?
Probably I absorbed yolk sac. It should dry up and fall off.
Still air temps are supposed to be 101.5.
Splash chicks will have random black dots on them. They can be very obvious or very subtle. White chicks will not.

Yeah I know and they were on top of the highest eggs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom