The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG--the hatxh from He**l! What do you suppose the issues are that caused all these deformities? So sorry, I had a bad one too this wee--but not this bad--lost 4 of 15.
I honestly think it's all due to the hatcher I used. I bought an incubator from a friend a day or two before lockdown. I got it set up and ready, temp was a b@$% to get right, the daggone dial thingy for the thermostat was SUPER touchy. Finally got temp/humidity stable, just in time to transfer the eggs.

The temp kept fluctuating, as well as the humidity...humidity kept dropping bigtime, and I had all wells filled, 4 sponges, and some wet paper towels in there. I kept misting the viewing windows too. So I think it has to do with humidity AND the temp problems.

Of all the eggs that went into lockdown, 3 looked to have died at lockdown based on the size of the yolk and development of the chicks. One looks to have died on day 19 or 20. One pipped a vein and died.

Then I have all these deformities. I'm going to assume, since the eggs I pulled that had dead chicks in them were from AFTER lockdown, it has to do with those temps and/or humidity issues.

Stupid incubator.

Whelp still no pips or rockers now I think I have a dead hatch humph upsetting yes but oh well ill try again in about three day I guess
THats the spirit!!! I kept careful detailed notes and used them to tweek my methods. Good luck!!!!!

Quote: Kim, nice variety in lock down-- praying a few more hatch for you!!!

On the splash-- are you saying white down with flecks of black on hatch day makes it a splash . . and if not flecks it is a white??

THis is driving me crazy to get my head around!!

I have 10 of my 18 that hatched!! Not bad for a first timer!
1f603.png
1f388.png
1f389.png
1f601.png
1f603.png
Wonderful!!

wee.gif
CHick #2 hatched-- a blue Ameraucana! To go with DOm white , or maybe a splash chick--- waiting for #3 who has a external pip!!

Who can tell me the diff between a Dom white and a splash chick???????????? CHick is a pale yellow , solid colored. Splash? or Dom white??

Ron YOu out there? Or Sally?? ANy one??????????
Splash chicks will have random black dots on them. They can be very obvious or very subtle. White chicks will not.
When hatched splash have black dots on white/ yellow down??

Quote: OMG-- these are SSOOOOOOOOOOO CUUUUUUUUUTE!!!

Last edited:
Well, 1 is good. Any chance of another?
Aww, so glad you got one. It will want alll of your attention. :)
Don't give up on the remaining 3. They could still hatch!! Mine did!!
jumpy.gif
I put the light on the remaining 3 late last night. I could tell they were gone. I did an egg-topsy and had 2 that made it close to day 20, and the other one had the yolk absorbed. They were all mal-positioned and had their heads up, but not under their wing or close to the shell. I picked up some friends for her today. 3 BLRW's, 1 speckled Sussex, 1 blue copper Marans, and some EE's (she is a bantam RIR).

Last edited:
Whelp still no pips or rockers now I think I have a dead hatch humph upsetting yes but oh well ill try again in about three day I guess
So sorry....but glad you are going to try again!
clap.gif

wee.gif
CHick #2 hatched-- a blue Ameraucana! To go with DOm white , or maybe a splash chick--- waiting for #3 who has a external pip!!

Who can tell me the diff between a Dom white and a splash chick???????????? CHick is a pale yellow , solid colored. Splash? or Dom white??

Ron YOu out there? Or Sally?? ANy one??????????
Woo Hoo!!!

Well I had one hatch while I was at work a Modern game Bantam and another one one it's way
smile.png
Congrats!!!

I have 10 of my 18 that hatched!! Not bad for a first timer!
1f603.png
1f388.png
1f389.png
1f601.png
1f603.png
Not bad? I'd day that is GREAT for a first timer!
clap.gif

I have had nothing but problems with all the chicks that hatched today.

One early this morning pipped a vein and died...must have been one of the major veins, there was a LOT of blood.

Every single chick after that...16...had navel issues. So every single one got put in a cup, some for other reasons as well.

Had the last silkie/polish chick get stuck zipping, pip a vein, rubbery membrane...had to assist. There was a pool of blood in the bottom of the shell from where it had pipped the vein. Realized after I pulled it out why it had trouble getting out of the shell...its neck is super long, and it has some sort of bony growth on the back of the neck. Poor thing couldn't even lift its neck up until about 1/2 hour ago.

One of my eggs (EE x BR) couldn't get out after zipping. Helped it out by cracking the egg open (like you do over a pan to cook an egg) and it was bent over and couldn't lift its head. Pulled it out, and here a vein tube was wrapped around its neck! It looks like it has strangle marks on its neck!! Also, up under its beak is a huge bubble...reminds me of a bull frog's throat.

Three eggs pipped veins, but didn't bleed out.

GL Cochin x Lav Orp. hatched out and was bleeding profusely from its navel. Staunched the bleeding and put her in a cup in the bator. Checked on her 10 minutes later, and she was lethargic and COLD. Pulled her out, wrapped her up, put her between my boobs. Carried her around like this for an hour.

When I put her back in the bator, she folded over...feet behind her head, head down. She can't straighten up her neck, I have no idea what's wrong with her. Giving her till tomorrow to see if those neck muscles strengthen, if not I'll have to send her to chickie heaven.

One chick has spraddle legs.

Three chicks have curled toes.

Three more eggs to go, all pipped this morning, no zipping yet, but I can see their beaks moving.

I cannot wait for this hatch to be over.
You poor thing! I hope the rest go better for you...

Quote: Those are all ones I can say I have not seen before. I hope you are able to figure it out.

My final count.
10 chocolate
12 mauve/blue
4 cuckoo
15 project (mixed color).

Not that great of a hatch- if I remember right I set 73.

A basket of chocolates!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom