The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final count was 5 blue/black Australorps out of 24
hit.gif

Power outage, and then an unexplained temperature drop down to 94. My littles are so adorable and almost as big as my 1 1/2 week old bantam orps.

I think the humidity was a problem. They were rocking but my one internal pip has been quiet. I think the inner membrane became rubbery. I had to rescue one of my orps and one of the australorps. I also had a staggered hatch with the bantams and I'm never doing that again. Had to open the bator too many times. I want a brinsea next time.

I've never heard of anything like that. I'd like to see pictures when you can.

It's evolved, LOL. Obviously subQ blood; most of it is now in the center of the feet and darker- a few spots along the toes, but hard to get a good pic with a bad camera and a squirmy chick!

editing to add - this is a BO chick; feets should be pinkyish yellow

Last edited:
Got a question... Woke up to another chick out; watched her for a while & she seemed fine. This afternoon she was dry, lively & fluffed out so I scanned for pips and, seeing none, took her out, checked her sex & popped her in the brooder. Five minutes later, chick is screaming - the other chicks are attacking her feet. Picked her up & examined her feet... She has what look like small blood blisters on the bottoms of her feet. Feet are normally shaped, toes straight, toenails correct, etc - just lots of red spots on the bottoms. Definitely sub-dermal fluid, not skin discoloration.
Can't take a pic right now because when I popped her back in the incubator there were cheeping eggs & I can't open it again until they're out. Has anybody had this before? Is this a result of the several temp drops? Incubator went as low as 86 three times, possibly up to four hours once, up to 2-3 hours the other two times.
What in the world! Yes pics would be key on that one, wow!

Quote: Thanks

Quote: Oh no, @GaryDean26 did you break her of brooding now? thats a bummer! I have had no luck with my cochin, silkie or brahma hens! Only one who did a great brooding is my serama, and she hatched out 9 babies! whodathunk! I have yet to have a CCL or a WhiteFaced go broody maybe if I get one I will attempt with them.

Don't know what is wrong. Every time I set my eggs I never get more than 50% to hatch. Worse luck with quail. I use the dry method. Ps help.
you will need to share with us your incubation techniques and equipment for us to help. Also what stage is death? and what time frames do you loose them. Also, what do you mean by dry hatch? I hate that term never does one dry hatch, just sayin
hu.gif
. You need to use humidity as a tool, not a number, the idea is to get the correct weight loss in the egg, sometimes you need more and sometimes you need any because climate/room conditions effect your humidity levels too. do you weigh eggs or watch air cells to adjust your humidity? Sorry for all the questions, but we can help if you throw everything at us! And if you dont have fertility or health issues with your flock we should be able to help you get a good hatch from local eggs!
hugs.gif
highfive.gif

Quote: I see none

For the chick of mine who's putting her feet over her head and her head going down, how much poly vi sol should I be giving her a day?

Also, I came across a post here on BYC about "crazy chick disease". Looks like what's going on with my chick, the only difference being that she can't stand because she's bicycling her legs up and back, instead of walking backwards like what I saw in the video.

Could this be what's wrong with her???

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...y-and-crazy-chick-disease-photos-added-post-5

Oh, I have so much to catch up on.

But, I wanted to report: I hatched 35 healthy chicks out of 42 lockdowned eggs. I had to put a chick down who had a dislocated hip, curled toes and splayed legs. I think it must have happened in the egg - she was very slow coming out.

But, all in all, a pretty good hatch.

It's evolved, LOL. Obviously subQ blood; most of it is now in the center of the feet and darker- a few spots along the toes, but hard to get a good pic with a bad camera and a squirmy chick! editing to add - this is a BO chick; feets should be pinkyish yellow
Honestly it looks like bruising from the others picking at them. As for why they were picking I don't have any ideas. Maybe because she was new.

Quote: I cant really see but it doesnt look like ulcers, like blood blisters

I have this bookmark, but I am not sure if what is pictured is related, edma perhaps could cause this blood pools, you say you were sexing it, perhaps it has a week heart and you held it upsidedown a tad too long? idk weirdness!!

What Causes Footpad Dermatitis in Poultry? http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p2769.pdf

Final count!! Out of 42 shipped eggs set, and 25 that went into lockdown

2 Gold Laced Orpingtons
1 Cuckoo Orpington
1 Spangled Orpington
2 Marans
2 Wheaten Ameraucanas
12 Salmon Faverolles
1 Mystery Orpington!

21 totally adorable fuzzy butts!

Now comes to tough part....which five to keep???!!

Final count is easy.....1 Marranduna Basque hatched out of the total number of original setup eggs. Only locked down 25. This is really horrid. I have got to figure out what DH is doing. UGH!
barnie.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom