The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of chicks do you think these are? I am told parents are: [COLOR=333333]Blue & Mille Fleur rooster over a blue hen, a barred hen and a few Mille Fluer / Calico hens[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]
Omgoodness!! Yeah!! I have been scanning the posts today trying to see how you had done. I am so happy you got babies!!! Congrats!!

Last edited:
Our eggs are pipping! We originally set 24 mixed turkey eggs but ended up with 13 turkey and 12 welsh harlequin. We picked up the WH last Thursday from a friend and they are 'due' Wednesday. They are in the same incubator and all set to hatch in the next few days. We've hatched turkey before but never duck and I wasn't expecting ducklings for another 3 weeks, I don't feel prepared. Anything special for ducklings vs turkey during hatch? 2 have pipped, trying not to open then incubator, how long should I give the pippers?

Well I thought I was done since my chicks were all due to hatch Saturday, so I was doing a quick candle and it turns out I still have about 10 alive wiggling about, I hope we have a few days to post final numbers because I think I have some late bloomers.

Omgoodness!! Yeah!! I have been scanning the posts today trying to see how you had done. I am so happy you got babies!!! Congrats!!

Us too! People keep saying they are sorry it wasn't more but I don't think they get how elated we are with these three. Just so thrilled. They are beloved little pets! We are trying to learn as much as we can about them and then need to find a few more like them to make a little flock and then make them a coop and such!

Quote: You should turn in what has hatched, and update us after the ducklings and meets hatch. Thank You!

Got it! So my total for now is 9 hatched from 15 set. I will report on the ducks/guineas next week.
Quote: I like that idea!
thumbsup.gif

this poor little one hatched yesterday..... alot of the yellow yolk is gone however that blob is still there. I put her in seclusion bowl with a warm wash cloth and a little bacetracin on her navel... any other suggestions besides time?

So.... Im still waiting on this little one to absorb the rest of her yolk..(I rolled her on her back to take picture)... 36 hours since she has hatched according to my notes.... i am technically on day 23 and STILL have eggs just now pipping!!!! I don't know why so late... but ok... ill take it!! :)

Quote: Wow, that's strange. Thanks for the picture.

Don't know what is wrong. Every time I set my eggs I never get more than 50% to hatch. Worse luck with quail. I use the dry method. Ps help.
Temperature is the most likely problem. I'd start with getting an accurate thermometer.

Final count is easy.....1 Marranduna Basque hatched out of the total number of original setup eggs. Only locked down 25. This is really horrid. I have got to figure out what DH is doing. UGH!
barnie.gif
I'm sorry you didn't get more.

Im on day 23 and have 10 more eggs tht havnt hatched. All hatched fri and sat except one tht hatched ths morning. Should I candle thm and see or wait it out for anothr day or so? I dont hear chirping or see egg movement
If it's been over 24 hours since the last chick hatched, then go ahead and candle the remaining eggs.

Final Count for me and the singing incubator from hell: 3 chicks (out of 10 set)

Tiny little bantams. One hatched on it's own on Sunday, and I helped the other two out (a lot) they are pets though, and look good so lets hope they are really well and the bator was the issue!

Oh my gosh.......YES!
woot.gif
So glad you got some to hatch from that horrible incubator!

Our eggs are pipping! We originally set 24 mixed turkey eggs but ended up with 13 turkey and 12 welsh harlequin. We picked up the WH last Thursday from a friend and they are 'due' Wednesday. They are in the same incubator and all set to hatch in the next few days. We've hatched turkey before but never duck and I wasn't expecting ducklings for another 3 weeks, I don't feel prepared. Anything special for ducklings vs turkey during hatch? 2 have pipped, trying not to open then incubator, how long should I give the pippers?
I haven't hatched either turkeys or ducks, sorry.

Well I thought I was done since my chicks were all due to hatch Saturday, so I was doing a quick candle and it turns out I still have about 10 alive wiggling about, I hope we have a few days to post final numbers because I think I have some late bloomers.
Yes, we will be collecting the hatch numbers for several days still.

So.... Im still waiting on this little one to absorb the rest of her yolk..(I rolled her on her back to take picture)... 36 hours since she has hatched according to my notes.... i am technically on day 23 and STILL have eggs just now pipping!!!! I don't know why so late... but ok... ill take it!! :)
Your temperature is too low. Next time increase the temperature by .5 degree or so. Keep doing this every hatch until they hatch on time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom