The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Natural Egg Contest had so many fantastic entries, which made it very difficult to narrow down to only 2 winners. At one point, we had a 3 way tie. Unfortunately, we can only have 2 winners, so we had to narrow it down to the top 2.

1st Place:

The Sheriff
500x1000px-LL-c140b4b6_breakfast.jpeg

2nd Place:

chicken pickin
LL

Congratulations!
Congrats The Sheriff & Chiken Pickin

@starlingdaly
 Well patience paid off once again. It did take them the full 3 hrs I said I would wait, but all the pipped ones are out. So 7 of the 9 that went into lockdown are out. I will candle the remaining two later to see whats going on with them.

Chicks will be fluffed up in a couple of hrs as well. so will post their pics then.

Thanks everyone for all the help and guidance last night and today.

Yay!! Congratulations !! Even if the last two don't do anything I'd say it was a successful hatch :)
I hope they do though and are just late bloomers !!!

This has been the second most depressing hatch I have ever had... Three on day 21, funnyfeets on day 23, then three that pipped & died, followed by a normal but small chick on day 24. Candled everything left on day 24 after the last chick fluffed up, and they were still alive - two hadn't even finished drawing down. I figured I'd better get miss feet and her new roomie out of there and sprayed the feet - Blue-kote did not help the attention paid to the feet, it intensified it. So, miss feet went into the mini brooder, and the others went into the last empty battery brooder... but I forgot to adjust the gate and the new one was small enough to get out into the feed tray and then jump/fall to the floor - where of course she found her way to the sump pit.
sad.png
. Today five more have pipped internally, then died without an external pip, two died after external pip.

Because I have a kitten in intensive care with a respiratory infection, our calving season officially started today (thank you, #182, your daughter is beautiful) and a customer coming to pick up twenty flats of plants tomorrow that had to be moved by hand, I'd decide that it was time to pull the plug tonight & post my four survivors. Didn't have time, because a neighbor called to let us know Jake (my tom turkey) was on the road down by their house. DH drove me down, hefted giant bird over fence, & I walked him across the pasture back to the barn... where he promptly hopped up on the fence by the hen house and went to sleep before he could get scolded.

Then I came back to the house... and heard cheeping coming from the incubator! My sole 'rock' egg hatched! It's a BR/WR cross, didn't really want the cross, but I hadn't set any of her eggs before and wanted to know if it was viable. Couldn't have faulted her if it didn't hatch - but I can't believe it did! It looks healthy and this is day 26!!!
ep.gif
Now it's nearly midnight & I need to make dinner - if baby is fluffy by the time I'm done, I'll candle again. Now, I'm not giving up on anyone that moves!

I am still a 3 \40. I had one more turkey but it died before it even made it all the way out....it was very cross beaked and. The top beak was only about half as wide as the bottom, I also had a silky die due to pasty butt it was clean at 10 am dead at 6 pm.. it is kind of sad a have one little poult wandering around my hatcher gaining strength I tied putting it in my my 1 week old bantam but it balance wasn't quite good enough yet. Two eggs 2 go 1 lonely little duck and 1 turkey left to go... good news this poult is the prettiest silver it is a beltville\rio cross same color as my silver partridge silkies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom