The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi Sally! This is upsetting. Of course, we will provide a refund. This being said, we do get them on a weekly basis DIRECTLY from Brinsea as their facilities are only a couple of miles from us. So we don't stock them longer one week. My guess is that they were stored in a humid area at the Brinsea warehouse. So if you do orders those again - from wherever you purchase them from, I would recommend having the batteries checked. This is today the second complaint about the Spotcheck. So obviously, we got a bad batch from Brinsea. I do apologize for this, and we will provide a refund straight away ... Again, we are sorry about all the inconvenience this caused .

At least I get my money back..... so that said..... what will I try out now! LOL
th.gif
You can try a pencil eraser to clean the contacts in the spot check. If that doesn't work, try emery cloth.
Or the first thermometer in the link below. You can also use an oral/rectal. They're very accurate.

Yay I have a thermoworks thermometer on order! glad to hear it has a positive vote! I got an email saying it shipped march 27th, so hopefully it will be here soon.
according to the tracking number it will be here on the 3rd
I'm using these
This one is fantastic.
http://thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt301wa.html
This one isn't as accurate but I'm using it as a 2 channel high low alarm for the incubator and hatcher.
http://thermoworks.com/products/alarm/rt8100.html

I'm glad yours is working well. Non-contact lasers can be a couple degrees off and I read that the egg shell surface temperature can read higher with them. That's the only reason I haven't gone that route.
Keep us updated.

@WHmarans - Probably not something you'll want to do, LOL. I raise all non-breeder roos as capons (ie: they're surgically neutered). Heritage breeds are neutered at 6-10 weeks, but these guys grow so fast that the surgery is pretty difficult to do correctly by 6 weeks, and is least stressful/most successful at three and a half weeks. This is why the roo in the pic has such tiny headgear - he's been a capon about half his life to date.

I've never caponized. How long does the process take? Is it difficult? I assume one needs a caponizing kit.

Would today be a good day to let my family and friends know how many eggs I have in the incubator? That way they think I'm joking but when they hatch they can't say I didn't tell them!
pop.gif

Mornin' peeps! I set the last of my Easter hatch yesterday, I'll get pics and a final count here shortly. Must have more coffee before doing math!
We almost have the 24'x24' mutant mutt chicken coop finished! Just have to frame the back and finish the door and hang the tarp. Nest boxes and roosts will be added tomorrow.

Day 2 in my wipeubator... Temp is holding steady at 99°F. Humidity is at 55%... At 36 hrs, I did the first turn. The whole wipeubator is tilted laterally about 30°. I have it sitting on a folded wash cloth. I have another cloth on the other side for the next turn. I added rocks soaked in 108°F water for 30 minutes just added to stabilize temp. Thanks to Sally Sunshine for that tip.

I hope you can hold the temp, its so important you do! go eggies cant WAIT for candling!
What did the emu do to the geese!! HA HAHA I want that video!!

Quote: That is just crazy! Our oldest son had something once where he had a temp of almost 105` f. It was crazy. Went on for days. Finally since the doctors had no idea what was going on with him they gave him a shot of a powerful antibiotic. The next day his fever had gone down, it completely, but enough to ease the tension. They never did find out what he had that gave him that high fever.

I hope your son gets better soon.
hugs.gif
It is never fun having a sick kid...
Thank you, he still has fever but slept almost through the night

ok I set 14 serama's today on top of the 78 already stated. for a new total of 92 (My wife is going to kill me
hide.gif
) Shhhh don't tell her she will find out in three weeks anyway right?

We had a little mishap and are setting 5 olandak dwarfs. Windowsill eggs are NOT for family omlets!!!!!!!!!
OH NO!!!!!

I'm so sorry I haven't posted my numbers yet! I've been sick since last Thursday. I have 36 barnyard mix, 3 serama, 3 NN, 3 phoenix, 1 mixed duck, 7 Ancona ducks, 8 coturnix quail and 16 button quail. That's a total of 77.

I haven't read the last 4000 posts, but I'll try to keep up now. I don't want to miss out on all the news and pictures!
frow.gif

I am so behind on this thread. I set 7 eggs on Sunday.
bun.gif
7 !!!! you sold all your eggs didnt you!! ha ha ha

I figured since I can't sleep I would get my numbers posted. I am so far behind on this thread between being sick for 2 days & starting homeschooling for 2 kids this past week. I haven't even had a chance to read Ron's digests the past several days, but will head there next. Here are my totals set to hatch 4/19 +/- 2 days (4/17-4/21)

62 Rainbow Layers & Polish mix set to hatch 4/17 as turkey tutors
4 Turkey set to hatch 4/19
5 Ancona duck set to hatch 4/19
8 Call duck set to hatch 4/19
55 Rainbow layers & Polish mix set to hatch 4/21

TOTAL NUMBER SET 134

If I need pix I can get them, but I forgot on the turkeys & ducks & pulled clears over the weekend to make room for more chicken.
Silky I pray your feeling better now and the kids are well too!

SO when I was turning eggs this morn I decided to candle my duck eggs since they are so light in color. I set on Friday so today is day 4 for me. Four out of 6 are showing veining YAY! These are my ducks first eggs. I hope the other 2 duck eggs start veining also but they may have froze early in the mornings after she laid them.

Oh and my 2 little DDs 8 and 7 played an April fools trick on me. Last night before they fell asleep the closed their door mostly not all the way though. This morn when I went in to wake them up from school I opened the door and a pillow fell on my head, I was so confused lol. Both DDs woke up and said APRIL FOOLS MOM!. I about died laughing that they came up with a trick without me knowing about it. They were so cute.

I'm joining! I set my eggs on late Friday, the 28th. Sorry so late posting my numbers!

Here's what I set:
4 Blue Polish
3 BLRW
3 Blue Orp
2 Speckled Sussex
2 Pumpkin Hulsey
4 Olive Eggers

So an odd mix! Some were shipped and some are my own. I'm using a Brinsea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom