The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never caponized. How long does the process take? Is it difficult? I assume one needs a caponizing kit.
How long it takes depends on how much practice you've got so far... My first go took me well over an hour and I'm very surprised the bird lived - but he did! Now it takes me about five minutes, but I've gotten a bit of practice, some advice from someone who was well worth listening to, and better tools. There's a Chinese guy on YouTube that does it in about two.
Difficult... hmmm... The best analogy I have it taking a cooked grain of rice out of a dark ping-pong ball through a coin slot.
Kit? I don't have one...never seen one 'up-close-and-personal'. I use an assortment of other surgical tools, acquired a few recommended pieces and have tested my way through my existing assortment until I found what works best for me, lol. A really bright headlamp is essential, although I did my first one with a penlight held in my teeth... My first (and only) loss to date was one of the meaties from New Years - their musculature is slightly different and one has to adapt.

Okay, I meant to put totals up yesterday. Obviously did not happen. Here we go!
Bator #1 12 turkey eggs (started with 16 but 2 were leaking and 2 were smelly), 19 BBS English Orps, 5 Buff Orps. Total of 40 set down to 36

Bator #2 3doz Silkie eggs, 2doz Black AM. Total 50 set

Bator #3 11 Dorking, 10 BLRW, 4 Lav AMs, 3 Silkie, 1doz BYM Total 40

Total originally set 130, down to 126

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...on-contest-5th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long

Wake up Snoozers!!
Lets get some more laughs!!

Contest #9

Photo Caption Contest!

5th Annual 2014 Easter Hatch-a-long!

Do you think you are funny? Want some Bragging Rights?
Your creativity, wit and humor could win you bragging rights AND some AWESOME Prizes!
Enter the BYC Photo Caption Contest and your entries will be judged on the basis of wit, creativity, humor and originality! Our BYC Judges will choose 10 finalists, and then YOU vote for your favorites!

4 “short and comical” entries per contestant

spointing_left_100-102.gif

1st Prize
A dozen Mystery eggs (all purebred)
Courtesy of msladyhawke

Mysterybox-challenge-logo.jpg

2nd Prize
Fresh Eggs Distressed Retro Vintage Tin Sign
16" x 8 1/2" tin metal sign

Courtesy of Cayuse Ranch

3rd Prize
Broody Hens Muffy & Fluffy the Silkie and Showgirl Chickens Patterns
Courtesy of angelsun

LL

Check out her etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/listing/181797191/muffy-fluffy-the-silkie-and-showgirl

Ok so peeked at my shipping eggs. Some look really good some air sacs are still ??? I have kept them upright in cartons pointy end down.. I haven't started turning yet I was allowing the airsacs to settle. Should I wait a bit longer??

One of the eggs I candeled looked like there was bubbles in it when I turned it over the light? Never saw that before...

Alright, now we are to that time when we need to start recording egg numbers.

When you are finished setting ALL of your eggs, please post in this thread, how many total eggs you set for this Hatchalong. (anything +/- 2 days from set day counts)

If you ended up not setting any eggs, please also let us know, so we can record it and know when the count is done.

If you can, post pictures of the eggs you set. (Because we all love looking at pretty eggs in an incubator) If you have a broody, don't worry about it unless you take the picture before you give them to your broody.

Ok so peeked at my shipping eggs. Some look really good some air sacs are still ??? I have kept them upright in cartons pointy end down.. I haven't started turning yet I was allowing the airsacs to settle. Should I wait a bit longer??

One of the eggs I candeled looked like there was bubbles in it when I turned it over the light? Never saw that before...

The ones with bubbles in them will probably not develop. I've had some like that, and they never did anything.

I never was able to set any. Birds still are being difficult about giving fertile eggs. I'm trying something different and seeing if it helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom