The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make sure the tape is off at lockdown. The instructions for my Birnsea octagon says to open the vent at the end to make sure there is enough ventilation.
That is how they found it - because it was off. I caught them a couple of times leaning up against the incubator with their paws on top looking in the windows of the LG...thus how they found the plug...I am sure they did it when I was not at home.

Quote:
Ron, did you ever read any of the UA or Bramwell incubation info? I found a tidbit out that was quite cool and certainly makes sense! actually a few things I didnt know he pointed out in 2012 when I first viewed it.

here is the podcast, someone taped it not so great but its cool to hear his input on incubation!

this is a paste from the Hatching 101 article..... see the purple color font...... read his suggestions below and then the link to the podcast is there as well, I dont think you can view on a cell though. Its pretty long so dont bother to watch until you have time to sit. I did look up some papers on it, and they also made the same conclusions. Whoda thunk!

VENTILATION (OXYGEN)

Ventilation is VERY important during the incubation process.
While the embryo is developing, oxygen enters the egg through the shell and carbon dioxide escapes. Oxygen requirements will increases during development and during hatching. Unobstructed ventilation holes, both above and below the eggs, are essential for proper air exchange. HOWEVER New Studies (Show Dr.Bramwell Discussion) have found that a slight decrease in oxygen the first 10 days (ONLY the first 10) creates a natural higher CO2 level which will naturally build in the incubator and add a little stress to young embryos which will force the embryo to survive and grow stronger, hatch earlier, hatch larger, grow stronger, grow faster and yeild more muscle mass at 6 weeks of age. PUT THE VENT PLUGS IN FOR THE FIRST 10 DAYS ONLY and then REMOVE ALL VENT PLUGS for the rest of the hatch! NOTE: When Lockdown occurs, vent openings are frequently restricted in an attempt to boost incubator humidity. Instead of helping the chick hatch, the chick is suffocated from lack of oxygen. Never decrease ventilation openings at hatching in an attempt to increase humidity. Increase humidity by other methods. If any vent adjustments are made, they should be opened more. Try adding a dampened sponge or towel to help boost humidity during lockdown.

Quote:
I'm getting Pilgrim's. I narrowed it down based on temperament and sexing at hatch. The males hatch yellow, and females khaki. As adults the males are white with blue eyes & the females are buff with brown eyes. I loved that!
Pil_CD1_N9.jpg

Not my picture..
I cant wait to see your babies grow!!

Quote: If I keep having poor luck with the turkey eggs, I will have to try taking the plug out and see if they just need more air than the other eggs. All my other species hatch fine.

I highly suggest @yinepu guide, I set three turkey eggs and had three turkeys after hatch! (I threw in porters for you as well) Are you going to join the Cinco De Mayo HAL as well? I think eggs are set on Monday? anyone? here is the link for the HAL https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...e-mayo-turkey-hatch-athon-all-poultry-welcome

I am so happy, but so bummed at the same time!!! My chocolate orpington bantam laid her first egg this morning....a week late!!! I want to add it to the bator SO BAD!!! What are the odds it would make it through lockdown without being turned??

How are the eggs I sent doing up there?

I wish I knew - ordered the Ova View but it won't be here until Monday or Tuesday. I set your eggs on a Wednesday evening and Jason's on a Thursday evening, so I'm splitting the difference and moving them all to the hatcher early Monday morning. I can't see through those shells.

Quote:
How interesting! Ron do you think I should add a few more things about altitude in the Hatching article? of at least some other links?

I only have the following in the humidity section! I never really jumped into that area but I would love if you could help me with a section in regards to that! I have had several people asking for help at the end of incubation and only to find out the wet chicks were from buying eggs from sea level areas and then incubating high alts! so the following is what I base research on for the article, but I would love to add a section for those people who are in fact above 3100!

The influence of high altitude on the hatching of chicken eggs.

Because of increased egg shell conductance at high altitude, eggs that were layed at sea level but incubated at 3100m will loose more water than eggs layed & incubated at sea level. Also, eggs laid at 3800m have lower amounts of albumen, less water than eggs at sea level and both egg composition and weights vary as consequence of changes in elevation, eggs produced at sea level are consistently and significantly larger than eggs laid at 3810 m. The mass of the yolk decreases and the albumen increases as sea level compared to 3810. Data suggest increase in mass of eggs at sea level compared to 3810 m is due primarily to water. http://www.wmrs.edu/resources/reference%20documents/Natural%20History%20of%20the%20White%20Mountains/ch23.pdf

Yes, if you are at a high altitude and the eggs came from sea level, the eggs would dry out too fast which causes problems. They also need as much ventilation as possible and at very high elevations, above 2000 meters you would need added oxygen and a barometric system to increase pressure.

What is your elevation in New Mexico?

You might be in a place where dry incubation will not be the best choice for you.

That makes me feel better about my local birds hatching well and busting year after year of shipped eggs from sea level.
I'm at 6554 here in Tahoe. My uncle in Santa Fe is at 6700.
Home birds I keep at 30/65 humidity. I had never considered going up to 75... Was that after day 18? I pictured suffocating but I could prop open the lid to increase air flow? Ugh so technical !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom