The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats a good question because meters doesnt make sense, that would take it to over 10,000 feet not? I am terrible with that stuff! this is why I was asking you for help on that section. If you have time further down the road and can jump into researching I would be grateful to add a section in regards to alt and I am positive so will everyone else that can get the info quickly.

Yes! I think so too. It is odd for us to work with Metric stuff.

The ventilation is interesting too and opposite of what we think.

Along with the Bramwell article, Brinsea also recommends closing the vent(Octagon has a vent with a cover that slides) for the first week and then you are supposed to open the vent to at least half way. Eggs shipped in sawdust are completely covered with the poors plugged. The eggs hatch fine--after getting the dust off--and it may be good for them to be closed up like that.

Honestly if she is a new layer and this is the first egg in her clutch I would collect the entire clutch this week, what happens is the first laid in the clutch has a much denser albumen, and changes with each egg laid in the clutch. this is how nature lets the hen lay eggs for a week and then set on them. As the denser eggs set they are changing and ultimately when she sets on them they are almost of same density, or composition, so mother nature has a way of making up for all of this :) also they say that the younger the flocks age, the longer you should store eggs, up to 7 days to get the best hatch results. whoda thunk yet again!
Thank you Sally!

@Hangtown Farms

Jason, I checked into altitude for you and found some information on altitude. Your altitude is at the edge of where you need to do different things. Eggs from your place should be ok. Eggs from sea level would need some special care. Sea Level eggs have bigger pores so they will lose more moisture than high altitude eggs. They often need higher humidity.

I would do fine at Woodland's 80ft above sea level with the vent plug in. I would definitely need more ventilation at a higher elevation and no plugs. Eggs shipped to you from sea level may do better if you added an air pump and increased humidity a bit.

Those penedesenca eggs might still need lower humidity though.

Weighing them might be best.
one thing that could goof my hatch.
My power went out for 4 1/2 hours last night after I just set the eggs a couple days ago of course.

my luck no power outgoes all winter….. get shipped penedesenca eggs and there it goes.

so you think i should add the vent plug back? its running between 45 down to 27% usually before I have to add water. Its in my bathroom .

my largest scare is I have 2 week and 4 week old chicks in my carport outside. Luckily they must of huddled together because they are all alive and running around. I keep blankets over a lot of it at night when they are young

thats a good question because meters doesnt make sense, that would take it to over 10,000 feet not? I am terrible with that stuff! this is why I was asking you for help on that section. If you have time further down the road and can jump into researching I would be grateful to add a section in regards to alt and I am positive so will everyone else that can get the info quickly.

1000 meters is 3200 feet correct?

I wonder though the note said added a little stress with the plug in due to slight embryo stress. would we want stressed shipped egg embryos? I feel they are stressed enough right when the post office gets them lol

the other thing to consider is once the eggs land at the airport what is he elevation difference they travel through?

does it make a difference if eggs are shipped from say Alabama to Denver then travel to say Colorado Springs
or shipped from same place to Sacramento at 25 feet then driven to My house at almost 3400 feet.

wondering if even the drive with elevation gain could cause issues?

Quote:

its funny you mentioned the closed pores!

I am actually working on best storage for viability up to 14 days and in my investigations (again wishing you were on the diary thread to help me navigate through some of it, hint) anyways, in my investigations I ran over some interesting stuff, that yet again opposite of our thinking! So before I add this cool info to the article I want to understand it completely! its quite cool for those of us that need to incubate in bulk and dont want to set every week for sake of sanity too!

Originally Posted by Sally Sunshine

PLASTIC BAG EGG STORAGE!!! http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=618820

Temporary heating before incubation and enclosing eggs in plastic bags during storage improves hatchability, especially when storage is prolonged. A high humidity during storage also improves hatchability, probably due to a reduction in water loss. The changes in albumen pH during storage are discussed in so far as they provide a possible explanation for relationships between environmental conditions during storage and hatching results.

Its mentioned here as well: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.138.798&rep=rep1&type=pdf

and here is yet another find that defies our teachings!

1 Conclusions
"In conclusion, storage in the small end up position or turning during storage can significantly
reduce early and late embryonic mortality. It will increase your profits, especially in eggs that are
highly sensitive to prolonged egg storage.
"http://www.hatchtech.nl/aboutus/articles/Alternative%20Egg%20Storage%20Methods%20Small%20End%20Up%20or%20Turning.pdf

2 "CONCLUSIONS

Storing eggs with the small end up is an alternative method to improve hatchability and to reduce egg weight and hatchling weight losses in eggs derived from young and old breeders stored up to 14 days."http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1516-635X2012000400003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom