The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
the other thing to consider is once the eggs land at the airport what is he elevation difference they travel through?

does it make a difference if eggs are shipped from say Alabama to Denver then travel to say Colorado Springs
or shipped from same place to Sacramento at 25 feet then driven to My house at almost 3400 feet.

wondering if even the drive with elevation gain could cause issues?
the short term wont matter but airplane rides will increase saddling in shipped eggs - I see that with saddled air cell i get from eggs shipped to LA then I reship to asia. Local CA eggs when shipped to Asia have minimal saddling

one thing that could goof my hatch.
My power went out for 4 1/2 hours last night after I just set the eggs a couple days ago of course.

my luck no power outgoes all winter….. get shipped penedesenca eggs and there it goes.

so you think i should add the vent plug back? its running between 45 down to 27% usually before I have to add water. Its in my bathroom .

my largest scare is I have 2 week and 4 week old chicks in my carport outside. Luckily they must of huddled together because they are all alive and running around. I keep blankets over a lot of it at night when they are young
41/2 hours will not hurt the eggs. It likely will not even delay the hatch. It is just another bothersome thing though.

the other thing to consider is once the eggs land at the airport what is he elevation difference they travel through?

does it make a difference if eggs are shipped from say Alabama to Denver then travel to say Colorado Springs
or shipped from same place to Sacramento at 25 feet then driven to My house at almost 3400 feet.

wondering if even the drive with elevation gain could cause issues?
All very good Questions!

The article and a couple of others mentioned poors being different between low elevation and high elevation egg. I don't think the change in altitude would change that. You are in good shape because the eggs came from a high elevation.

The problems with high elevation should show up after day 10. If you want, and it might help, leave the plug in for the first 10 days and then take it out(or open it in the Rcom?)

So cute! Congrats!!!

I have my first 2 BLRWs eggs on day 21 they are rockin around, cant wait til they hatch.
I hope you have success. I have 4 more to hatch of them but looks like one quit and another I accidentally dropped lastnight and think I killed it. I also have a EE and SS pipped. I have more BLRW to hatch in many staggered batches thru Easter. So far the 2 have nice combs and beaks which makes me very happy. Theirs some in my area selling that have too many defects to even try to breed but my small breeding batch is all Foley stock so I'm very hopeful. I also have a nice small flock of SS that I'm intending to keep breeding for chicks as they aren't very common around me and hope to introduce them to more people. I already have many interested in them.

how pretty! what a sweet chick! how many more are due?

I only have 3 in lockdown. The one Ameraucana and 2 BLRW. I bought a dozen eggs from a breeder a few weeks back for Blarneyeggs to gift her that dozen eggs plus 6 of my CL eggs. The breeder ended up giving me a few extras so I put the extras in my incubator.

41/2 hours will not hurt the eggs. It likely will not even delay the hatch. It is just another bothersome thing though.

All very good Questions!

The article and a couple of others mentioned poors being different between low elevation and high elevation egg. I don't think the change in altitude would change that. You are in good shape because the eggs came from a high elevation.

The problems with high elevation should show up after day 10. If you want, and it might help, leave the plug in for the first 10 days and then take it out(or open it in the Rcom?)
The Rcom does not have a plug but forces a lot of air. I am not worried about it, the Genesis is what the crele are in. I am saving the Rcom for the black eggs I should be getting Monday .

The Genesis doesn't hold temp as well with no power. Hopefully it won't go out again lol.

I am hoping @ozexpat can jump on that, with his travels his eggs may show more details on this subject

the short term wont matter but airplane rides will increase saddling in shipped eggs - I see that with saddled air cell i get from eggs shipped to LA then I reship to asia. Local CA eggs when shipped to Asia have minimal saddling
Great thank you. these crele eggs I got are exceptionally thick shelled . Being in the bathroom goes a long way for not adding much water. out in the hall way the air is drier do to the Pellet stove.

The air cells are very hard to see in these eggs.

above are the crelke eggs I got. They are actually pretty dark especially the ones on the right

here are some Black Penedesenca eggs I should have Monday
picture my friend sent . Hopefully they are as dark as they look. He says a few are 8/9 on the Maran chart.

My Good Luck totems for all (or most) of the eggs to hatch....I have more Chicken items people have given me over the years, but this gives them the right idea...C'mon little chickies,grow!
That's too cute!

I actually have some Ayam Cemani eggs in the incubator for the Hatch-a-long right now because nothing says Easter like an all black chick. It may be several years before you will be able to buy eggs from this breed. Those of us that have them are working to perfect the breed before selling eggs. You can buy chicks this year but the current market price for Ayam Cemani chicks is around $1100 per chicks, depending upon the line and breeder.
I look forward to seeing your chicks!

Quote: They should be fine. If your temperature was a bit high, they will probably hatch a bit early. If it was low, then they'll hatch late.

I am so sad...if none of my shipped ameraucana eggs hatch...I need to start over. I really want to bring more purebred to Maine.
fl.gif
for a great hatch!

So, I candled them all. All had veins. Saw embryos in some.

I also weighed them. The goal weight loss for this day was 23.348 and the actual weight loss was 23.3.

So far, so good. . .
I love seeing them wiggle around in the egg.

Here are the eggs that I set tonight. The late eggs as I call them. Love the colors. Photos never do justice with egg color.
Yay! I can't wait to see how many hatch!

I candled my eggs tonight 5 of the 7 appear good. 1 I am pretty sure there is a blood ring and the other does not appear to be developing at all I thinking was to old to try and hatch. This is only my second go at hatching so I still all 7 in the incubator for now.
5 of 7 is still pretty good!

I have also wondered what the purpose of the plugs is...... my incubator has two plugs. I run it with one in and one plug removed. That is just how it works best. Temperature stays consistant and humidity does not fluctuate.
I do the same in my hovabator. My brinsea doesn't have plugs, but a vent hole.

Okay I was scared but I candled a couple this morning at turning time. I have two that are moving. Can see the eye! Oh my gosh!!!!!! I'm so excited!
It is so cool to see them move!

I am so happy, but so bummed at the same time!!! My chocolate orpington bantam laid her first egg this morning....a week late!!! I want to add it to the bator SO BAD!!! What are the odds it would make it through lockdown without being turned??
I don't incubate the first eggs. I let them get a bit bigger before I incubate them.

Really not sure how to participate, but our Salmon hen went broody on March 29th, so we're hoping for an Easter hatching.
Welcome!

I candled using a toilet paper roll and a bright LED light from my phone. Is day 6 too early to see a blood ring?
No, you can see a blood ring at that point. If you are unsure though, leave it in.

Wheaten Ameraucana, she is still in the incubator fluffing up and waiting on her pals to hatch.
Congrats! Hope some friends hatch soon!

My first 2 BLRW chicks, more to come.
Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom