The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in!! Ever year I hatch eggs with my first graders to teach them about lifecycles!! I'm going to have to set mine on the 12th because the 13th is a Saturday- no school
1f601.png

I have received eggs that were wraped in a paper towel with a single piece of tape, then wrapped in a piece of small cell bubble wrap (about 3"x6") with another piece of tape. The box was lined with bubble wrap, with the eggs surrounded by pine shavings.

Wish i had taken pictures.

That sounds like ladycat from on here. I have been having a terrible time with shipped eggs lately but I had the best luck with hers. About half of them made it to lock down (and then I'm not completely sure what I did to them at that point :( ) She has pictures of her packing somewhere. It is amazing. I should also mention her eggs made it all the way from California to Ohio with all the air cells intact (which is the only shipment I have had such luck with since last May).

Prior to last May I have had decent luck with most eggs that were well padded, no matter how they were turned (didn't matter if they were air cell up). Bubble wrap seems to be the best (or now I'm thinking wood chips). The worst I ever received were in egg cartons and there was not enough padding in the box to keep the cartons from shifting around.

I'm in!! Ever year I hatch eggs with my first graders to teach them about lifecycles!! I'm going to have to set mine on the 12th because the 13th is a Saturday- no school
1f601.png

That sounds like so much fun doing it with the kids. At my kids school they do it in 3rd grade, This year I have a 3rd grader so she is oober excited. I hope she isn't bored because we have been doing it hear at home for the past few years, maybe she will feel knowledgeable to share info with her friends. We will donate the eggs to her class for hatching.

Oh and the 13th is Friday in March Saturday is our planned set day which is the 14th
wink.png
Being a day or 2 off though for the set date is no biggie.

I really hope you share your experiences and stories about hatching with your 1st graders!

That sounds like ladycat from on here. I have been having a terrible time with shipped eggs lately but I had the best luck with hers. About half of them made it to lock down (and then I'm not completely sure what I did to them at that point :( ) She has pictures of her packing somewhere. It is amazing. I should also mention her eggs made it all the way from California to Ohio with all the air cells intact (which is the only shipment I have had such luck with since last May).

Prior to last May I have had decent luck with most eggs that were well padded, no matter how they were turned (didn't matter if they were air cell up). Bubble wrap seems to be the best (or now I'm thinking wood chips). The worst I ever received were in egg cartons and there was not enough padding in the box to keep the cartons from shifting around.

They were indeed from ladycat. Those were the only eggs I have had shipped, but I thought the packaging was eggcellent. I only had one break and the paper towel wrapping contained that mess quite well and no other eggs were effected.

any of you ship eggs or have received some? Im shipping some of my eggs (for the first time) to some awesome peeps here on byc for this easter hatch, and I was wondering if I could tell you guys my idea on how to ship them and if I could have some of your feedback on my idea :)
Yes, please tell us your idea!
caf.gif
A couple of years ago, a BYCer showed her method using pipe insulation (kind of like swimming pool noodles but softer) for shipping. Good, new or different ideas are always welcome!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom