The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about that, but my neighbor is from the Phillipines and she raised chickens over there. She said the pointy eggs are roosters and the round eggs are hens. I haven't tested this myself , but her husband said he tested it and so far with their chickens, she has been right.

Egg shape is a factor of breed and individual hen. It does not determine gender. Nor does temp during incubation. These are "old wives tales."

The gender of the embryo is determined before the egg hits the egg shell gland. The gland determines the shape of the egg so nope, this one does not work either.

The shape of the egg, color and etc. would have no bearing on the gender of the chick hatched.

There was an article posted about a new method of checking if an egg will hatch a boy or a girl that involved sampling with a needle. That is very accurate.

But what if the gland responded to the sex? like the male passing through faster so the longer shell.

I want to thank all of you whom gave my mother-in-law Nanachicks a warm BYC welcome!
You guys rock!!!
love.gif

Last edited:
But what if the gland responded to the sex? like the male passing through faster so the longer shell.
The little bitty couple of cells that make up the embryo? It only divides once before the egg is laid and there is now difference in shape of it.

No, not possible. Like @SoManyHats posted, it is a wives tail.

lol ron..had to look twice to see who's cute avatar that was.
@Chickadoodle was talking about animated gifs on the old folks home thread so I changed mine to that as an example. I will change it to something else soon. Probably more Pita Pintas!

Egg shape is a factor of breed and individual hen. It does not determine gender. Nor does temp during incubation. These are "old wives tales."

Yeah, I had never heard that one before, but she was pretty convinced that it's true because she was giving her husband a very hard time telling him he was putting too many Roo eggs in the incubator lol

This might not seem like a big thing to some people, but I'm pretty excited since I've never been on a forum for this long.

Today is the day I joined BYC 4 years ago!

I don't have my badge yet, but I know the mods are busy with other stuff. So it's ok.

Congratulations! Happy 4th Anniversary. I'm thinking it MIGHT be a big deal and will think about it. For sure it's big print.

40 chicks hatched and healthy... had 2 separate hatched due to shipped eggs...

Sorry, @emvickrey, none of the Silkies or Sebrights made it... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom