The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am afraid that I am not going to have a a good size to set to hatch for the hatch a long we are experiencing extreme temperatures where I live right now and my girls have still not picked up liked they had at this time last year!
barnie.gif
Anyone else having this wonderful weather?

I am afraid that I am not going to have a a good size to set to hatch for the hatch a long we are experiencing extreme temperatures where I live right now and my girls have still not picked up liked they had at this time last year!
barnie.gif
Anyone else having this wonderful weather?

Yes winter is rough this year, LOTS of snow. This is what it looks like in my area. I hope the girls pick up laying in the next few weeks, I have 4 currently laying.

A few days ago

and another 8-10' when I woke up this morn :(

Yes winter is rough this year, LOTS of snow. This is what it looks like in my area. I hope the girls pick up laying in the next few weeks, I have 4 currently laying.

A few days ago

and another 8-10' when I woke up this morn :(
I'm glad we aren't the only ones with piles of snow like that! I don't have to walk down the steps of my back deck because they have long since been covered, and we have to step up to get out of the garage and onto the back porch because the snow has built up so high.... Forecast calls for -14 tonight...

calibrating a digital thermometer is hard.

I set a glass of water in the bator for 2 hours, then use a medical grade thermometer to measure the water and comparing it to the temp on the didgital thermometer that is sandwiched between two ziploc bags of water.
I should probably (and more accurately) use the term "checked" in place of calibrated. I use a glass thermometer in ice water to be sure it's right and "check" it against my digitals in the bator for accuracy.

For those who made their own cooler bators, how many watts are your bulbs?
I tried it. A standard bulb from my son's lamp worked best for mine. I think it depends on the size of your cooler, how you have it set up, etc. For example I had 2 large observation windows in mine, so there was a pretty significant draft. I was told to use whatever wattage that keeps your temps where they should be (97-101 degrees). Mine varied too much from one area to another. Some eggs too hot, some too cold. I duck taped my observation windows on and it kept falling off! So I failed. I'd just do one window on top if I did it again. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom