The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmm, just over half. that sounds like a pretty poor success rate collectively. is that about normal or is it just a poor year for chick rearing? what was last years like percentagewise?
congratulations to the winners though. hope you enjoy your win!
It is what happens when the majority of broodies, incubators, and incubator controllers either abandon the nest,spike and kill all the eggs, are not experienced, or do not report their totals.

Last edited:
It has to do with some not reporting their hatch totals and that would add to the percentage.

It is also a total hatch not fertile hatch--some would have had 0 hatch out of what they set. Others would have low hatch rates because of shipping damage.

yeh, I get that. collectively I would have thought 8000+ eggs would show a good representation of what one might expect in general. it's not a bad sized sample base and it covers all areas like shipping damage, bad eggs, accidents etc.
I am just a little shocked it is so low, unless there is a great number of people started but didn't report at the beginning and end of the term. the odd one or two should not really make much difference with a large sample, unless they represent a great proportion of the total.

I am also fixin to lose my favorite little BCMs. Was late hatch and his backend stays all crusted up. Clean him repeatedly during the day. Have to feed him vitamins and electrolytes to keep him going. Have found him on his side twice now and pulled him thru but it's just a matter of time. Every time i feed him he blows bubbles and stuff from his mouth. He won't lay down like the others, haven't seen him eat or drink. SIGH.....so sad.
sad.png
So sorry.

hmmm, just over half. that sounds like a pretty poor success rate collectively. is that about normal or is it just a poor year for chick rearing? what was last years like percentagewise?
congratulations to the winners though. hope you enjoy your win!

Just under half, by 300. If you go by the total set including those that did not report their results (8,689). I guessed exactly half of the set (4344) giving it an expected 50% between the losses and those that wouldn't report their hatches and I was still 300 over! I thought I'd end up too low, not too high.

everyone has the question on weather to wash eggs before incubating if they are soiled...well questioned answered...product called tek trol....it kills all diseases and is super concentrated...please check it out...for the safety of your flock...alot of stuff is floating around and this product is a must have for anyone incubating...

It has to do with some not reporting their hatch totals and that would add to the percentage.

It is also a total hatch not fertile hatch--some would have had 0 hatch out of what they set. Others would have low hatch rates because of shipping damage.

Like me, got some eggs from a friend with a new rooster. Only 2 out of the 12 were fertile..and had some others that were shipped, also, only 2 were viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom