The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we all feel the same way... I want to hatch everything and keep every thing and have a pen for a gazzilion breeds lol... I eventually come back to my senses and have to downsize, which is a bummer lol. This year I have decided to rehome my flock of turkeys and maybe some chicken layers that way I have more space to work with 2 chicken breeds, and keep maybe one small layer flock. Wish I could keep everything.

You sound like you have a very good flock going. Are they all from serious breeders, or hatchery? And GREAT Christmas gift, BLRW! the Lavender Wyandotte project, sounds fun.
Most are from hatcheries, or from individuals who raised a couple of generations from hatchery stock. Since I'm just starting out, I'm enjoying learning and experimenting without the higher cost that I would have from serious breeders. Although, I am working to improve the overall appearance of my flock, with an eye on what the SOP is for each respective breed.

You might say I'm using the "cheaper" chickens to learn on, and then later on I would like to branch out into better blood lines.
wink.png

Count me in. I will set Black and Blue Copper Marans, Splash Marans, and some mixes of Wheaten Marans, Golden Cuckoo Marans, Black Tail Buff Marans, aaaaand Olive Eggers, Frizzled and Not! Woot Woot! Also waiting on some SBEL eggs...

(And with any luck maybe some silkies/sizzles/shizzles/Showgirls. IF they are not broody!)

I wondered how long it would take to see you here! Welcome!

On a side note, THE EAGLE HAS LANDED! Well... the chicks have hatched!!! I am going to leave them in the bator until I get home from work today so that the third egg isn't disturbed. Check it out!: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ace-s-chick-cam.

Yes, please tell us your idea!
caf.gif
A couple of years ago, a BYCer showed her method using pipe insulation (kind of like swimming pool noodles but softer) for shipping. Good, new or different ideas are always welcome!!
ok, I will :)

I have received eggs that were wraped in a paper towel with a single piece of tape, then wrapped in a piece of small cell bubble wrap (about 3"x6") with another piece of tape. The box was lined with bubble wrap, with the eggs surrounded by pine shavings.

Wish i had taken pictures.
too cool! do you recommend that? sounds great!

I've had eggs shipped to me.
I actually watched one of your videos from your egg bomb! it was great! I thumbed it :) gorgeous eggs! I was watching a ton of unpacking videos yesterday and came across yours. your profile pics are the same :)
im wondering if I have to wrap each egg with that PO tape. hmmmm...

the way I think I will ship:

get bubble wrap and fold over the ends to make a pocket and tape it.
Place the egg in the pocket.
Fold the sides over so I have a long strip.
roll up the egg till the end of the wrap.
Tape it closed.
Put a good layer of 'cushioning' (layer of bubble wrap, then plastic bags, then news paper and a few peanuts) in the bottom and top of the box.
place the eggs inside, on their side (in the center of everything and then layer the top).
Fill in corners and gaps with bags and newspaper.
Tape it closed.

what is the best way of labeling? and is it necessary?

Most are from hatcheries, or from individuals who raised a couple of generations from hatchery stock. Since I'm just starting out, I'm enjoying learning and experimenting without the higher cost that I would have from serious breeders. Although, I am working to improve the overall appearance of my flock, with an eye on what the SOP is for each respective breed.

You might say I'm using the "cheaper" chickens to learn on, and then later on I would like to branch out into better blood lines.
wink.png
this is great! I must say, also a great way to learn from the bottom, and without the high cost! never thought of that!
clap.gif

I love hatching out mutts! Each egg is a surprise! Hope your hatch does well.

agreed! mutts are awesome! 10 of my 12 birds are mutts....LOL but without them or the NYD HAL I wouldn't have them! ahahaha

Curiosity questions. Does anyone know how many eggs were set during last years(2014) Easter Hatch-A-Long?

Also, do shipped eggs from a large hatchery have a better hatch rate than shipped eggs from ebay or other source? Or are all shipped eggs about the same of hatch rate?

Last edited:
The best way to ship eggs is to rap them in bubble wrap, and put Styrofoam popcorn in the box to allow them to move around when box is dropped or tossed. Mark box with Live hatching eggs.

Curiosity questions. Does anyone know how many eggs were set during last years(2014) Easter Hatch-A-Long?

Also, do shipped eggs from a large hatchery have a better hatch rate than shipped eggs from ebay or other source? Or are all shipped eggs about the same of hatch rate?

my question is...large hatchery's ship eggs? like cackle and my pet chicken?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom