The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my 3 week old babies out in the big brooder in the garage which is unheated. I had no choice, they outgrew the brooder inside. It's 0° out right now. I was really worried about them at first but now I'm not. They have 2 heat lamps on them, a light tarp covering the top and a lot of space to run around :) they're absolutely loving it lol.

I have my 3 week old babies out in the big brooder in the garage which is unheated. I had no choice, they outgrew the brooder inside. It's 0° out right now. I was really worried about them at first but now I'm not. They have 2 heat lamps on them, a light tarp covering the top and a lot of space to run around
smile.png
they're absolutely loving it lol.
I have 3 four week old babies that was hatched by a broody. She has decided that during the day they can do pretty much what they want. Its not as cold as you have it, but is freezing. Today I found them huddled in a corner by the fence freezing. Once my husband got home I was able to get them back in the coop in the brooder where I have a lamp. I sure hope they are ok. I did find her and put her back in with her. She went and sat on them. I'm worried because at 4 weeks it has to be to cold for them alone outside. Tomorrow I believe I am going to leave them closed in the brooder.
idunno.gif

I have 3 four week old babies that was hatched by a broody. She has decided that during the day they can do pretty much what they want. Its not as cold as you have it, but is freezing. Today I found them huddled in a corner by the fence freezing. Once my husband got home I was able to get them back in the coop in the brooder where I have a lamp. I sure hope they are ok. I did find her and put her back in with her. She went and sat on them. I'm worried because at 4 weeks it has to be to cold for them alone outside. Tomorrow I believe I am going to leave them closed in the brooder.
idunno.gif

My Silkies are good at hatching eggs but not always so good at being Moms. I shut them in a dog crate if they are too small or it is just too cold. They get supervised turnout until I'm sure she won't leave them.

My Silkies are good at hatching eggs but not always so good at being Moms. I shut them in a dog crate if they are too small or it is just too cold. They get supervised turnout until I'm sure she won't leave them.

My silkie that brooded last September had 7 babies of her own and adopted 3 more from my OEGB hen. The OEGB was a violent mother and was attacking my silkie's babies. She was an amazing mother and cared for her babies for 10-12 weeks lol. She wasa great mom for a first timer (6 month old Pullet when she went broody)

My OEGB would've been a great mom too. .. if she were the only one at that time. She was VERY protective.

My last broody hatch though was a BCM. She was NOT the best mom. She didn't teach them much and did kinda leave them on their own at a couple weeks old during the day (the hatched in late October). She wasn't protective or anything. I'm amazed that they survived her! I won't be letting her brood again.

My silkie that brooded last September had 7 babies of her own and adopted 3 more from my OEGB hen. The OEGB was a violent mother and was attacking my silkie's babies. She was an amazing mother and cared for her babies for 10-12 weeks lol. She wasa great mom for a first timer (6 month old Pullet when she went broody)

My OEGB would've been a great mom too. .. if she were the only one at that time. She was VERY protective.

My last broody hatch though was a BCM. She was NOT the best mom. She didn't teach them much and did kinda leave them on their own at a couple weeks old during the day (the hatched in late October). She wasn't protective or anything. I'm amazed that they survived her! I won't be letting her brood again.
I am totally in love with this picture!!!
love.gif

I'm in for this HAL, my first! My heritage Sussex (Light and Speckled) have been laying since January, and once we get past thiis current subarctic cold spell, I'm thinking I might be able to collect a few of the eggs before they do an instant-freeze. I'll be using the Super-Duper Coolerbator I am just now finishing for the occasion, and I can hardly wait to impress someone with it. Thank you for the support and motivation. Laurie in Berthoud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom