The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hatching bantams question. I have bantam/standard cross chicks without much difference in hatching time. (I guess the chicks were F2 bantams. The mama was out if a standard hen by a bantam roo. The papa roo was a true standard size roo. Gotta love backyard mixes.) They only hatched 1 day before the others. I have heard that true bantams typically hatch at 18 days where standards hatch at 21 days. Does that mean lock-down starts early also?

I have 2 gold sebright bantams and 1 silver sebright bantam going into the incubator with my standard and large breed eggs. Since, they hatch a few days earlier should I put the bantam eggs in the incubator a couple days after the others have already started incubating? I am a bit at a loss of what to do. I don't have a separate hatcher to place eggs in for lock-down. I could probably piece something together just for the bantam chicks. Any suggestions? These are my first true bantam eggs that I have ever hatched and I don't want anything bad to happen that could easily be avoided.

I've noticed that one of my hens not only lays different size and shaped eggs but widely different color eggs. I cut the tail feathers on the hens I wanted to keep their eggs and she was one off them because I watched her lay a tan egg with dark brown spots. Then I watched her lay a brown egg that had a film of white over it that made the egg look pink. The next day she laid a pail egg. Then the spots again. Is there something wrong with her or is she just a strange hen?

Lol my three year old loves to watch the baby move all around so last year I kept candling probably 5 plus times a day, Im pretty sure that many times is what killed the first 8 of them. I will go with you logic and only do a few once a day
Ok, I'll give you that one...lol That is a little excessive. You have me beat! You may be right there!

I set 10 eggs.

I'm so excited!!!

I have 7 in my little bator. And 3 under my broody Goldie.(aka Momma) :yiipchick

This is my second time incubating and my first time using a broody. It will be so fun to see how they compare! I'm hoping that when all is said and done, Momma will accept the chicks from the bator along with her own. I'm curious if anyone has had success with this.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

I also have a little Giant. You read allot of bad reviews but mine also holds the temp just fine. The problem I have is that both the temperature and the humidity meter that come with the bator differ by 1 to 2 degrees comparing to the thermometer I set on top(resting on) the automatic turner. I have a manual thermometer and a digital sitting on the egg turner and go by these. Last time I hatched approx 75%, not bad for the first time with this bator. So fingers crossed for this hatch! I have been running it all week in preparation and the temperature held up perfectly. One hour to go for us on the sunny Island of Curacao :) ! Kids are going crazy waiting LOL

Does this work? My little giant just won't hold steady for the first time!
I also have a little Giant. You read allot of bad reviews but mine also holds the temp just fine. The problem I have is that both the temperature and the humidity meter that come with the bator differ by 1 to 2 degrees comparing to the thermometer I set on top(resting on) the automatic turner. I have a manual thermometer and a digital sitting on the egg turner and go by these. Last time I hatched approx 75%, not bad for the first time with this bator. So fingers crossed for this hatch! I have been running it all week in preparation and the temperature held up perfectly.

One hour to go for us on the sunny Island of Curacao :) ! Kids are going crazy waiting LOL

ITS TIME!!

On this day, the fourteenth of March, I, Ace, have set SEVEN barnyard Easter Egger mixes (1/2 Wheaten Ameraucana, 1/4 Barred Rock, and 1/4 EE).

Hi Ace! Do you like your little Brinsea? I've only used mine once before and only had one chick hatch. But, that might have been because they were shipped eggs...I hope!

Have you hatched this mix before? I bet they're cute!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom