The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. TJordan

TJordan Songster

Jul 27, 2014
    Lower Alabama

Babies!!!! We love pictures [​IMG]

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Not me! I was quoting the last person! But yes, photos are nice..where are they? krist?

3. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Crowing

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Just thought I'd post an update on my hatch. It didn't go so well, I only got two chicks out of it and one of them passed after hours of helping it get stronger when it got separated from its adoptive mother.

Anyways, X is the chick that survived and he is doing well. You can see where he got his name, there was an X on his shell. He needed a little help, but was otherwise strong and lively.
    [​IMG]

His brother/sister, Dash, was doing well until he got separated. He didn't actually have a Dash on his shell, but some of the eggs that were infertile did so I passed along the name.
    [​IMG]

The six eggs in the plastic bucket were infertile. The three that are opened were assisted hatching (Dash and X included, the last one, 25, didn't make it to hatch). The other four that were opened had died during development.
    [​IMG]

Anyways, it wasn't all bad. I've got another broody hen with a number of eggs, got some of her eggs in the incubator (in case another hen breaks hers or lets them go cold). X is doing well and growing up fast, even if he has no silings he gets to watch the three other clutches of chicks outside of his pen. I'll bet he'll join them when he is old enough that he won't drown in the water buckets. He only has to wait one more week. : )

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sorry you didn't have a better hatch Gita! Good luck with your broody hatch!

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah

Better luck with this new batch! I only had a few hatch too. Worst hatch ever..wasn't the Easter Hatch A Long eggs, but the April's. I've never seen such bad air cells in all of my buying from online. Shipped eggs. [​IMG]

6. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts

Yes it was very nice!! :)

7. TJordan

TJordan Songster

Jul 27, 2014
    Lower Alabama
    Update on my babies. [​IMG] [​IMG] These are my replacement chicks after the fire. Will be going outside after we build a coop. Irritating weather has us on hold.

1 person likes this.
  8. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 Si vis pacem, parabellum

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    I like all the ones you posted Cynthia...but I especially like this one! What a cutie petutie that little dog is. Awwwwww.

(Even if it isn't the thread you originally meant to post on...lol) I got a good chuckle!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Wickedchicken6

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    My hatch was less than eventful...[​IMG] And I've had trouble with a couple of the chicks since. [​IMG] Thanks so much for your update!!

Love seeing the babies [​IMG] and hearing how things turn out!!

10. Wickedchicken6

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    Oooh, lovely replacement chicks!!! [​IMG]

The weather can sure be a pain! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: