The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

idunno.gif
whut I do, you all huggy like tonight Jack?
hugs.gif
Im always huggy Love
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

love.gif

Quote:
I bought a quail base like the on in the picture from the Tractor store.
Quote:
Thank you and that's fantastic!! I'm envious!! I "used" to go to your TSC when we ventured across the border...awesome store!! I haven't been there for...15 years or so. Loved that store!!
love.gif

TSC up here...TOTALLY different store. I couldn't even order a quail base (thank you Ron...I couldn't remember the proper wording
hugs.gif
) Not on their website. Most of the time they have no idea what I'm talking about and look at me like I'm a crazy person.

(Ok, no smart comments...lol!)
wink.png

I'm pretty certain I could order more from the independent feed store. They always know what I'm talking about. They actually carry incubators AND wafer thermostats. It's where I got my quail waterers before.

Quote: Thank you, Cynthia!!
hugs.gif

And I totally agree and I thank you for the encouragement. Most definitely...sometimes someone doing something just a little bit different and BOOM...light bulb goes off and you can see how the idea can either work for you or be tweaked to work for your setup.

Heck just learning about everything that's not necessarily relevant is fantastic. I just realized last night how much I've learned in the short time I've been on here. Amazing!!
celebrate.gif

Quote: There's a Cinco de Mayo HAL? On here?
th.gif

Sadly, she was 4 weeks old. Flew into a pond I forgot to empty.

sad.png
Oh darn.

Sadly, she was 4 weeks old. Flew into a pond I forgot to empty.

Oh, I'm sorry.
sad.png
We had a chick die jumping into a pail of water. Accidents happen, so don't blame yourself.

After what happened to her now we don't let chicks out unless we have only chick-safe waterers set about for the others (we often use rubber buckets or tubs when all the birds are adults) or else I keep them in their broody pen until they are large to be able to get out.

About to set 4 Rhodebar eggs as a test hatch. Maybe I can find some other eggs to throw in. Lol

Cool! Where'd you get your Rhodebars?

Excuse the cobwebs. I don't clean that shelf because I'm terrified of breaking anything on it. Everything on this self belonged to my late grandmother. Note the shakers at the very top.
wink.png
I don't collect them, but I love those 2. As far as I know, everything on that shelf is older than I am and I'll be 26 on Wednesday!

Beautiful. We have some antics too and I'm always terrified to handle them. Being in a house with five boys means a lot of things get broken, but I guess that is what glue is for.

My first time too!!!
Is there anyway to encourage a hen to go broody?

We can learn together.
thumbsup.gif
This is my first planned hatch-a-long also (I've only hatched eggs in my incubator, successfully, one other time).

The offered advice will certainly help you as far as getting a hen to go broody. They love to do it their first or second year and they love to do it at particular times of the year. Spring seems like a big time, and a lot of hens are going broody right now. They love a clean, secluded nest that is regularly used by other hens and has lots of eggs in it. I'm not sure if having a rooster helps with them going broody or not (it doesn't affect egg laying, but this is more behavioral then that), however, I know that roosters encourage it by showing hens nests and calling them to it.

Best of luck with your plans!

Back
Top Bottom