The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. lacymorgan

lacymorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2015
    Kingman AZ
    I live over by kingman AZ

2. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest For The WicKed Premium Member Project Manager

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada

3. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Often it takes some little change like that!

Good Job!

It it is feather picking, upping the protein can help too.

4. tao chick

tao chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2015
    Herkimer County, NY
    This is the thermostat. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V4TJR00?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

5. Wickedchicken6

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada

1 person likes this.
  6. Sueg4332

Sueg4332 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    Ceres, California

7. Wickedchicken6

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
  8. nate1the1great1

nate1the1great1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    Colorado
    What scares me is that they are only about 75-100 pounds and they are eating 8 pound chickens... They are now trying to get me, and I just do what I did with my 4h pig, slap the, with you hand on the nostril or on the shoulder, but when these ones are 275 pounds I am running for my life!!!

9. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    How's it doing? Waiting can be so aggravating!

Yeah, pigs certainly have some carnivore in them. In Australia they hunt and eat people's lambs and they love meat, eggs, milk, ect. They're also REALLY intelligent. Pigs can be both awesome and dangerous. My mom said our great aunt (or something, I don't remember) actually had a pig kill and try to eat a little girl! That is really sad, and it makes me nervous to get a pig ever (ironically they happen to be one of my favorite animals). [​IMG]

Like the others said, a change in the heating element, a new brooder, and plenty of fun "toys" can keep chickens busy. A place to hide allows them security, some perches let them get their energy out, and some chopped up grass lets them pretend to forage. My chickens love all the fun things I add to their brooders and have never shown aggression while in them (thankfully. I consider half luck).

I hope they start getting along. [​IMG]

Welcome! [​IMG]

Thanks. [​IMG]

Yeah, we've introduced animals before and seen both the good and the bad of it. I have to say that for us the hardest as been cats though. [​IMG] Rabbits are certainly up there too. Chickens take time, but I'll admit I've never introduced an adult in, only chicks or teens so that could be why we haven't had trouble with the intros.

Yeah, be careful out there! Pigs might not be evil (my brother thinks they are) but imagine having a dog that size! They aren't like ruminates, they've got sharp teeth and they are stubborn as all can be. I can't believe how big some of those things can get!

10. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by