The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Quote:
Me too!!
Hubby just came in, lol'd and said he feels he same as the married rooster!
gig.gif

Quote:
That's exactly how it works here too. BEST way to break any animals bad habit!
clap.gif

. I sooo hope these are a pair and start laying soon.

I hope so too!!

Quote: Ok, I gets it now that I have a fresh brain.
gig.gif

yeah I have a red light but I also tried something maybe it helped or maybe they just stopped being brats, but I put them into a new brooder, it is bigger and none of them had been in it before. I figured it was worth a shot. Low and behold I just went down to check on them and they are all snuggled up and playing and just doing great now..... GO FIGURE
idunno.gif
Often it takes some little change like that!

Good Job!

It it is feather picking, upping the protein can help too.

[COLOR=800080]A microwave turner...I like that idea! It would make turning eggs much simpler! I also LOVE free...free is good!! And you cover it to insulate it. I'm interested to see how you like it. I'm envious of your thermostat. I bought wafers, just because of availability and time.[/COLOR] [COLOR=800080]Now that I've see the brinseas...being plastic like they are (I made a bator out of a white styro cooler), I'm trying to think outside the box.[/COLOR] [COLOR=800080]I was going to get turners and put them in lower type clear tote. But now I'm thinking of taking the top short drawers (to maximize eggs) of a tower (or towers)[/COLOR] [COLOR=800080] and[/COLOR] [COLOR=800080]putting them in a HUGE clear tote.[/COLOR][COLOR=800080] [/COLOR][COLOR=800080]And I figured cover it like you're planning. Make it work for both incubating and hatching with exchangeable drawer inserts.[/COLOR] [COLOR=800080]BUT I haven't gotten to the conception stage yet. I want to make something super easy to clean. And I think I prefer the eggs incubating on their sides...probably because I started that way. But nothing's written in stone.[/COLOR] :celebrate [COLOR=800080] [/COLOR]
This is the thermostat. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V4TJR00?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Quote:
Oh, sorry hadn't read yet that you have a red heat lamp.
hide.gif

Yes, definitely moving them to a new place evens the playing field. (I never thought to mention that)
barnie.gif

Pigs, definitely rabbits, chickens, probably most livestock...moving them into a new space, not even necessarily larger (but larger helps) preferably least aggressive to most aggressive can save a ton of headaches.

Rabbits are amazingly territorial! Pigs and rabbits will just pick on and possibly kill the newcomer. Chickens too. Sheep are by far the easiest to introduce and move together in my experience. Moving the new animal/chicken or picked on animal first and letting them be in the space before the aggressors can make all the difference. Moving 2, preferably more animals/chickens together lessens the extent of abuse. When I use to show, I always showed at least 3 ewes so that when I brought them back home and reintroduced them after quarantine, the others' aggression (70ish ewes) would be spread out over the three ewes and not just on one.
I hope the harmony continues.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I haven't ate any of them. I keep the roosters as conversation pieces. I am amazed the number of people that still think they are half turkey. My chickens free range and seem to be tough. I stew a lot of the cull roosters if my neighbors dont buy them to make soup out of. I hate to say this but I buy my Foster farm fryers on sale 68 cent a pound. I can't raise them for that. I love roasted chicken and those are always tender.....on my Ronco rotisserie.
I hatched so many eggs last year I am so addicted to hatching (not so much the chickens) I love to hatch them. All I can say is thank God for eating egg sales and regular egg buyers.
I have eggs in bator now. I'll get some pictures of my 1/2 NN they are beautiful. Plus they spread horse manure well well.

Years ago at a horse ranch I worked on had this young 200 pound pig that loved to eat baby chickens.  He would stalk them like a cat.  HE MADE ME SO MAD.  hE WAS QUIET TASTY  B&Q.   He was awful..  We broke that habit.. LOL

What scares me is that they are only about 75-100 pounds and they are eating 8 pound chickens... They are now trying to get me, and I just do what I did with my 4h pig, slap the, with you hand on the nostril or on the shoulder, but when these ones are 275 pounds I am running for my life!!!

Oh...one of the chicks due had cracked the shell. I opened it just a bit to see....out of concern (that's what I'm calling it)

Definitely leaving him...do I put some "stuff" on the membrane. I think you guys call it bacitrin? Is that like polysporin?

How's it doing? Waiting can be so aggravating!

Years ago at a horse ranch I worked on had this young 200 pound pig that loved to eat baby chickens. He would stalk them like a cat. HE MADE ME SO MAD. hE WAS QUIET TASTY B&Q. He was awful.. We broke that habit.. LOL

Yeah, pigs certainly have some carnivore in them. In Australia they hunt and eat people's lambs and they love meat, eggs, milk, ect. They're also REALLY intelligent. Pigs can be both awesome and dangerous. My mom said our great aunt (or something, I don't remember) actually had a pig kill and try to eat a little girl! That is really sad, and it makes me nervous to get a pig ever (ironically they happen to be one of my favorite animals).
sad.png

Have any of you ever run into an issues where your chick abused? The other 2 beat her up, but only when she is in the brooder with them.
I only got 3 chicks that hatched 2 of them yellow RIR, 1 black Barred Rock, the barred rock is the one being beat up. They are fine with her outside the brooder box when I let the kids watch them run around they are happy playful and even snuggle with her and she LOVES it, but when I try to put her in the brooder they are truly brutal to this poor thing. She does try to fight back but she is 2 days younger than them and they are bigger. I feel bad because she wants sooo much to be with the others, she does not want to be alone, but, I don't know how else to keep her safe. I wish one of my silkies would take her and care for her. They are just not old enough yet
barnie.gif

Like the others said, a change in the heating element, a new brooder, and plenty of fun "toys" can keep chickens busy. A place to hide allows them security, some perches let them get their energy out, and some chopped up grass lets them pretend to forage. My chickens love all the fun things I add to their brooders and have never shown aggression while in them (thankfully. I consider half luck).

I hope they start getting along.
smile.png

I am on the list! Finally thank you!!!!

Welcome!
woot.gif

I got my Rhodebars From HenPeckedPoultry in Alabama.

Thanks.
smile.png

Rabbits are amazingly territorial! Pigs and rabbits will just pick on and possibly kill the newcomer. Chickens too. Sheep are by far the easiest to introduce and move together in my experience. Moving the new animal/chicken or picked on animal first and letting them be in the space before the aggressors can make all the difference. Moving 2, preferably more animals/chickens together lessens the extent of abuse. When I use to show, I always showed at least 3 ewes so that when I brought them back home and reintroduced them after quarantine, the others' aggression (70ish ewes) would be spread out over the three ewes and not just on one.
I hope the harmony continues.
thumbsup.gif

Yeah, we've introduced animals before and seen both the good and the bad of it. I have to say that for us the hardest as been cats though.
smile.png
Rabbits are certainly up there too. Chickens take time, but I'll admit I've never introduced an adult in, only chicks or teens so that could be why we haven't had trouble with the intros.

What scares me is that they are only about 75-100 pounds and they are eating 8 pound chickens... They are now trying to get me, and I just do what I did with my 4h pig, slap the, with you hand on the nostril or on the shoulder, but when these ones are 275 pounds I am running for my life!!!

Yeah, be careful out there! Pigs might not be evil (my brother thinks they are) but imagine having a dog that size! They aren't like ruminates, they've got sharp teeth and they are stubborn as all can be. I can't believe how big some of those things can get!

Back
Top Bottom