The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. LocalYokel

LocalYokel Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. LocalYokel

LocalYokel Overrun With Chickens

:hugs

3. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    I love that one! I think my cats have the same issue. [​IMG]

4. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH

1 person likes this.
  5. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest For The WicKed Premium Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    [​IMG] EVERYONE!!

I had a chick breaking out last night and I "slightly intervened" which I shouldn't have...but I did. It ended up he got stuck by his left wing and back to the shell, and was still waiting patiently for me this morning. Poor little fellow. But of course, that was my bad for having interfered. I'm not as strong as you Ron!! [​IMG]
    (I need to SMACK myself) [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I removed the rest of his shell, which wasn't stuck at all and was ready to come off, and carefully removed the stuck part with a very damp Q tip. Here he is...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He had pronounced blood veins and bled a bit where I opened up the membrane last night. Leaving him was the best thing I could do for him because he wasn't ready to hatch yet. But you can see by the bottom picture the little guys previous umbilical opening is good and there was no blood at all this morning. He just needed me to be more patient. [​IMG] He's in the 'bator right now fluffing up.

IF he/she makes it, he's been a VERY lucky/tough chick. This chick hatched from a tan egg...the ONLY tan egg to make it to the hatch. I had 12 eggs in total and had placed green 4 eggs in the 'bator. This egg was dropped with the rest of the eggs and carton onto the floor and was the only non cracked egg! So I put it in with the four green eggs and hoped for the best.

This is the mom.

[​IMG]

I did hear another egg chirping last night but I haven't heard anything today. So I'm "trying" to wait patiently.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. jaide

jaide Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2014
    Iowa

We had. 200lb neo mastiff. Best. Dog. Ever. But when he would lay on me I couldn't breath. He had no respect for personal space. I loved that dog.

7. lacymorgan

lacymorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2015
    Kingman AZ
    Who do I talk to about donating a prize I will donate one of my coloring books
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    @Happy Chooks

9. lacymorgan

lacymorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2015
    Kingman AZ
    Still time to get in your orders for hatching eggs if you need any for the hatch a long[​IMG]

10. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Congrats on the chick! He is one lucky little fellow for having been through so much. It's amazing how tough they are.

He should make it, we were naughty too and helped some chicks a little early and sometimes they just need a couple days with some warmth, tender care and electrolytes to get their strength back, then they're as good as any other.

Here's the rest of our story of how we helped our weak chicks: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1075785/assisted-hatching

Best of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by