1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

You'll do fine, I have no doubt... lots of little fuzzlebutts are in your future... :lau

Pallet coop should work just fine... when you gonna get some ducks? :pop

2. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    Oh wow! I can't believe I'm finally caught up after reading every chance I got for several days.

Firstly thank you to everyone that donated prizes(I'm completely in love with the shakers and the socks) and especially is/has organized this wonderful fiasco. ;)

Also I totally would love one of the cookbooks so if you decide to sell them after the hatch-a-long please let me know. I also am totally in love with the adult coloring books! And my Mom wants one is there some place we can by them?

Okay so I have some questions and please anyone feel free to throw ideas at me. I would like to join the hal but I would more than likely be setting my eggs on the 3rd(as I hopefully have eggs arriving from MPC on the 2nd), can I still officially join?
    Would it be a bad idea to wait with the shipped eggs and set on the 5th? I have never gotten eggs from MPC before. This will only be my fourth hatch, first was silkies and bantams(shipped- 3 inferts, 1 early quitter, 5 late quiters, 8 healthy happy birds-one was an assisted hatch), second was two black oegb(100% set and hatch), third hatch and my only previous hal was Halloween(shipped poorly- 20 Sicilian Buttercups and 2 Partridge rocks all but 4 quit by day 8 complete bust none hatched).

If yes than I will be hatching a mix of chicken eggs(not sure how many yet)
    *6 eggs for education from MPC(a prize from the Halloween Hatch-a-long(idk if they send extras or not)
    This will also be the first time that we will be trying to hatch our own eggs from our flock as we were new to chickens last year.
    *some pure silver laced wyandottes from my flock
    *possibly some wyandotte/EE mixes
    *possibly some wyandotte/Isa brown mixes
    *possibly some silkies
    Will update as I can. Please let me know if you need more information.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Take a breath and good job on catching up!

Setting on the 3rd is fine, it's within the +/- 2 days of set day.

We don't need to know yet how many you are setting. Only once ALL of your eggs for the hatch are set do we start collecting the numbers! So, after March 5th and when all of your eggs are set, post here how many you set. Pictures are appreciated, not for validation, but for enjoyment of pretty eggs!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus w/crappy Inet Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    GET YOUR GROUNDHOG DAY JOKES READY!!!
    GUESS WHAT DAY IT IS TOMORROW!!

Might have trouble this year,
    looks like he has been trapped!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FUN FOR THE KIDS IN THE MORNING!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Hurley

Hurley Egg Of A Different Color

Mar 17, 2010
    Palmyra, WI
    USPS saga, part deaux:

I reported on Saturday that my eggs showed delivered to Palmyra, WI, to be held at PO.

[​IMG]

Called Palmyra WI PO - No answer.
    Went to Palmyra WI PO - No box.
    Rechecked tracking - Box was in Palmyra...Indiana.
    [​IMG]
    OH NO!

Called Palmyra, IN PO - Box was there, oops, sorry, yes it was marked clearly WI, we'll ship it on.
    Tracking showed box bounced back to Louisville sorting, where I am sure the box was handled gently and lovingly for its second time through that facility on Sunday.

This am, box tracking showed arrived in Whitewater (the main PO hub that services this area).

[​IMG]

Tracking updated before I could try to pick it up that it is out for delivery in Palmyra - Uh, what happened to HOLD AT PO?
    Waited, mail came, no box.

[​IMG]
    OH NO!

Called Palmyra PO - no answer, repeatedly.
    Drove to Palmyra PO - no box. Shrug, try Whitewater. Phone died, drove home, got charger, looked up address, checked tracking, still "out for delivery" in Palmyra.
    Drove to Whitewater PO, by this time nearly 5pm (closing time) - No box, Tracking now marked Palmyra, Delivered to front door/porch - 12:52 pm.
    Got shooed out the door of the PO because it was 4:59 and they needed to close.
    Drove back home, walked the perimeter of the house, driveway, mailbox. No box.
    Drove to my 4 neighbors on this dead end little road in the country, no box delivered to them.

[​IMG]

So... Shrug? My best hope is that the carrier got here, saw the HOLD AT PO, and took it back to Palmyra after their closing time of 4:00. It's too late to call now (and they don't answer, anyway). Otherwise my eggs are sitting freezing somewhere on someone's front porch. Temps just hit 32 and the sun is down.

Thank you USPS for 5 hours of trying to track down this box Saturday and today, with nothing to show for it but a sparkling clean and heated incubator.

Does anyone know if you can have boxes shipped to hold as other post offices...not serviced by Whitewater?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  6. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Smile Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    [​IMG] I can't wait!
    47 and 1\2 hours have passed without incident.... [​IMG]

Um...... Uh.... well.... my neighbor has 2 female and one male duck... Mix, black swedish, and pekin..... Soooo....

As soon as the female goes broody.... Again. [​IMG]

Ugh! You just can't catch a break! [​IMG]
    Good luck, I hope they actually get there safely. [​IMG]

7. chattery41

chattery41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    near Cleveland TN
    Can't u ship "general delivery" with no street address, just the name, city, state and zip. Seems like that would work for them not putting them in a carrier truck.

8. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    Wow, nice prize donation!! [​IMG] PM @Happy Chooks and let her know you want to donate one.

9. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Local eggs!! Sweet!!

So... why wait til she is broody???

10. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus w/crappy Inet Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]