The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Sahwithchicks

Sahwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Central FL
    Oh man @Hurley so sorry to hear about the eggs!!

Beautiful basket o' eggs @KYTinpusher

2. Hurley

Hurley Egg Of A Different Color

Mar 17, 2010
    Palmyra, WI
    My Coop
    Yeah, thanks.

I've been in contact with the seller and they offered to ship out a fresh box, I'll cover shipping. Think that's nice of them. :) Can't fault their communication, have been great.

I've got quail eggs supposed to be coming this next week, hopefully those boxes fare well. Looking forward to quail this year. I've been googling the heck out of recipes for quail eggs and quail.

3. jwlpoultry

jwlpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    I'm looking into quail to also looking at pheasants

4. chattery41

chattery41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    near Cleveland TN
    Oh man, you really need to send me some of those SLW. Those are some beautiful birds.

5. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA

Hm, no special secret in particular, I can tell you that I *DONT* rotate my eggs back and forth while I store them for hatching. I sit them on the kitchen counter in a carton labeled "DO NOT EAT OR REFRIGERATE" and just pop em in the bator when I'm ready.

@Sally Sunshine Awe thanks! It means a lot! :hugs I post on the PA theead all the time and no one responds, so I just gave up. I skim/lurk though.

2 people like this.
  6. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG] oh how LOVELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh to set them babies!!!

8. chattery41

Oct 23, 2014
    near Cleveland TN
    Yea right ! LOL

9. chattery41

Oct 23, 2014
    near Cleveland TN
    Ohhhh set day is so sloow to get here ! But then again i'm waiting on eggs so i need to be patient. so hard to do [​IMG]

10. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA

Thanks I will post some pics for you to see if you'd like but the birds we have I'm finding are very flawed. They were bred by a man local to us and his stock was stunning but our cockeral has shown some aggressive behavior and he's on his last chance. The pullets aren't as friendly as I had hoped(one has a single comb) but mostly these chicks are an experiment for us to see how the chicks will turn out and if the aggression is passed down or heightened as it passes down. I have spoken to a few other people on BYC that have not had the lacing or aggression issues with their stock. We may try the breed again sometime if this experiment flops. Our cockeral is huge probably 12-15 lbs and the pullets are really big too so if the chicks turn out to have poor temperaments they will end up in the freezer. We are hoping to find a good heritage breed that can serve as a good meat bird as well as layers. So far my assessment of the ones we have is they're beautiful, but their eggs are kinda small, and they are a bit over the top with putting the rest of the mixed flock in their place, as well as any human aggressive bird belongs in the freezer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by