The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Humbug3445

Humbug3445 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2016
    I had 7 ducks. I live in the city. I thought they where very hard to take care of. They are very messey. And tbey could fly over my fence. They where very pretty but .esssey. my neigh ors are very close. If you have land. And not close to your house they are fine when it got hot i had flys i live in tbe south. Virginia coast .

2. Eps32

Eps32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2015
    North Carolina
    Guess these breeds lol. The polish was supposed to be a buff laced but I'm pretty sure it's a golden polish. I could be wrong these are my first polish so not much experience with the breed.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Hurley

Hurley Egg Of A Different Color

Mar 17, 2010
    Palmyra, WI
    My Coop
    Huh, kind of like a free martin heifer (the female calf of a pair of fraternal twins in cows - she gets androgenized by cross over of XY cells with the twin, is typically sterile, gets more muscular like the males but externally a female, albeit juvenile/underdeveloped.)

4. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    They are very cute!

You will have to wait until they feather out to see what you really have.

5. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA

@UGLYFOOT
    Yes we have been considering bielefelders and I am subscribed to that thread but I don't know of any place we can get them for a decent price. Also I was under the impression that due to their huge size they took a much longer time to reach a butchering weight. I do love the idea of sexable at hatch. In the future we may try some ccl, bielefelders, etc. We're still exploring breeds at this point and finding out what we like and what we don't. Meanwhile I am looking forward to trying our first heritage breed meat.

This year we are getting some Speckled Sussex and some White Rocks we also have some Orpingtons as well.

6. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    So glad you could join! [​IMG] Good luck with the hatching.

How awesome! Congrats!

Congrats on the chicks!

Sorry to hear about the roosters, I've had my roosters argue too. We're going to be getting rid of five or so (many of which are young, so they are just now coming of age).

If I get from a hatchery I'll likely vaccinate, as I don't want my birds to suffer if they get merek's. However, those I hatch myself I don't vaccinate, just because its a cost I find unnecessary (and giving shots is really scary!)

Where did they come from? That way we know what breeds are optional.

7. Eps32

Dec 22, 2015
    North Carolina
    Mcmurray hatchery always order from them have had great luck there

8. Eps32

Dec 22, 2015
    North Carolina
    Sorry wrong post I thought I was getting asked where I got them from

9. Sahwithchicks

Sahwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Central FL
    I vaccinate for encephalomyelitis, pox and encephalitis. There have been issues with the 'Litises in this area, and since it can knock out a flock without warning (and emu are super susceptible, and I have always fantasized about having them).
    But no, not mereks. The vaccine is derived from the strain turkeys get, and I keep turkeys so I just hope that it helps protect everyone :p

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  10. Sahwithchicks

Sahwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Central FL
    Cute chicks! Mystery chicks drive me CRAZY! I just can't handle not knowing what I have ha

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by