The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

I had 7 ducks. I live in the city. I thought they where very hard to take care of. They are very messey. And tbey could fly over my fence. They where very pretty but .esssey. my neigh ors are very close. If you have land. And not close to your house they are fine when it got hot i had flys i live in tbe south. Virginia coast .

Guess these breeds lol. The polish was supposed to be a buff laced but I'm pretty sure it's a golden polish. I could be wrong these are my first polish so not much experience with the breed.

I did not look too long so it is easy to miss stuff but it looks like they can only make Cockerels from pullets at day 3 of incubation. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1439-0272.1992.tb02599.x/abstract

Another article said spontaneous gender change goes from female to male--not the other way because of the make up of males and females. That article said that they do not fully become males--can't fertilize eggs so you get a crowing hen that is sterile.
Huh, kind of like a free martin heifer (the female calf of a pair of fraternal twins in cows - she gets androgenized by cross over of XY cells with the twin, is typically sterile, gets more muscular like the males but externally a female, albeit juvenile/underdeveloped.)

Guess these breeds lol. The polish was supposed to be a buff laced but I'm pretty sure it's a golden polish. I could be wrong these are my first polish so not much experience with the breed.

They are very cute!

You will have to wait until they feather out to see what you really have.

Ha Ha  YES!!!

I know that you mentioned wanting a heritage breed, but have you considered the Bielefelder? They are newer to this country but quite a few people are breeding them. They seem to have the qualities you are looking for. There is a dedicated thread here about them. I am just getting my flock together because of the reasons you mentioned above, They are very large gentle birds who lay huge eggs and are suitable for the table.

@UGLYFOOT
Yes we have been considering bielefelders and I am subscribed to that thread but I don't know of any place we can get them for a decent price. Also I was under the impression that due to their huge size they took a much longer time to reach a butchering weight. I do love the idea of sexable at hatch. In the future we may try some ccl, bielefelders, etc. We're still exploring breeds at this point and finding out what we like and what we don't. Meanwhile I am looking forward to trying our first heritage breed meat.

This year we are getting some Speckled Sussex and some White Rocks we also have some Orpingtons as well.

I am in!! Last year things went bad for me but this year should be better!!!

So glad you could join!
frow.gif
Good luck with the hatching.

Just got 31 chicks from the PO . Got a assortment for the heck of it lol. Got two buff laced polish I thought. But they look like golden polish not buff laced. Buff laced are yellow right? These are brown .I'll post pics later after they settle in and get there electrolytes from there long travel.

How awesome! Congrats!

Woke up this morning to some bloody roosters, I knew it was only a matter of time before my silkie roos decided it was time to figure out the pecking order. Well, I made the choice for them. I will be holding onto the most tame of the 2 roo's the other will be culled along with a bigger rooster this weekend. UGH my poor hens looked so devastated, I think the fight may have freaked them out.
barnie.gif

I keep telling myself, "get enough eggs to do the easter hatch (my only silkie hatch) and the roos can go, NO MORE ROOSTER DRAMA!!!!!

My bigger roo is being culled because of a big ol hole in my shin and a chunk taken out of my arm. I have been begging hubby to get rid of him for a while but this last time he got me was the last time he will ever get.

On a happier note, I get to candle my eggs for the first time tonight to see how many little developing babies we may have. Fingers crossed that this hatch is better than the last.
fl.gif

Congrats on the chicks!

Sorry to hear about the roosters, I've had my roosters argue too. We're going to be getting rid of five or so (many of which are young, so they are just now coming of age).

How many of you vaccinate again Merek's? And if you do Why? And if you dont Why? I have not ever done it, but I am fairly new to hatching this is only my 3rd hatch (Easter will be my 4th), and my last one was very unsuccessful only 3 chicks made it out of the bunch. I have looked on the forums and just didn't find a whole lot

If I get from a hatchery I'll likely vaccinate, as I don't want my birds to suffer if they get merek's. However, those I hatch myself I don't vaccinate, just because its a cost I find unnecessary (and giving shots is really scary!)

Where did they come from? That way we know what breeds are optional.

So glad you could join! :frow   Good luck with the hatching.

How awesome! Congrats!

Congrats on the chicks!

Sorry to hear about the roosters, I've had my roosters argue too. We're going to be getting rid of five or so (many of which are young, so they are just now coming of age).

If I get from a hatchery I'll likely vaccinate, as I don't want my birds to suffer if they get merek's. However, those I hatch myself I don't vaccinate, just because its a cost I find unnecessary (and giving shots is really scary!)

Where did they come from? That way we know what breeds are optional.
Mcmurray hatchery always order from them have had great luck there

I vaccinate for encephalomyelitis, pox and encephalitis. There have been issues with the 'Litises in this area, and since it can knock out a flock without warning (and emu are super susceptible, and I have always fantasized about having them).
But no, not mereks. The vaccine is derived from the strain turkeys get, and I keep turkeys so I just hope that it helps protect everyone :p

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom