The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois

2. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    Great news on your lost eggs! [​IMG] There are great employees dedicated to customer service that work for USPS, but sometimes you have to look pretty hard for them.

3. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    ARRGH! [​IMG]

All my hens are getting in with my broody girl and soiling her eggs. I tried putting wire over the most of the box (she is a bantam and they aren't) and that doesn't work. I tried marking her eggs and the pencil got rubbed off. I can't move her or she'll break up. Last time this happened my hen lost all of her chicks and I don't want it to happen again. I'm so glad that Princess lets me move her.

Interesting observation on my Dalmatians. They seem to "wean" their chicks as soon as they fully feathered. Princess stays with hers until they leave her (2 or so months old), but Ruby and Susie both left their chicks at only 4-5 weeks of age.

Susie, sitting on the wrong nest because another hen kicked her off her own.
    [​IMG]

4. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    I put my guess in for the number of eggs set.

1 person likes this.
  5. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest For The WicKed Premium Member Project Manager

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada

6. S5apiotrowski

S5apiotrowski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2014
    Thanks - I guess my TJ does not have them. Perhaps whole foods or Fresh Market will have some.

7. Hurley

Hurley Egg Of A Different Color

Mar 17, 2010
    Palmyra, WI
    My Coop
    3 more eggs from the girls this afternoon, for a total of 7 today (2 yesterday, 1 before, zero for weeks with no lights). [​IMG]

Like a light switch flip, we're back in business. Apparently a red bulb is enough to stimulate them (didn't have a white one to put in there at the time and haven't switched out.)

8. Sahwithchicks

Sahwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Central FL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Had some chickies hatch today. Salmon Faverolles and Welsummers. Should be getting my new bloodline faverolles eggs next week :weee

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  9. Hurley

Hurley Egg Of A Different Color

Mar 17, 2010
    Palmyra, WI
    My Coop

Oooo! Exciting. :) I'm going to be picking up some more Iowa Blues later this month to blend in. They're somewhat related to my currently flock - pretty much can't get away from that in a breed that has experienced the kind of bottleneck near extinction IBs did, but hopefully will be a good mix for my guys.

Salmon Faverolles are so gorgeous, if I had the space...

10. jaide

jaide Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2014
    Iowa

Thank you for that great information. I have austrolaups, barred and buff rocks, Wh leghorns, and an Easter egger. Any of those tend to go broody?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by