Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.
Lol!! you will have a test hatch hatching the day before Easter
How did you add the fan.
I would dry hatch and move on 18 days to the LG for hatching.
Umm... we don't set for the Easter hatch until March 5th. But like I said before, if I set every couple of days from now to Easter, I am sure I will have some hatching for Easter!
But I was hoping to NOT have to use my LG styrobater because it is SO hard to maintain humidity during lockdown and I end up having to add water (through a straw onto a sponge) in the middle of the night to keep it up in a respectable range. My new Ova-Easy has a nice door seal, an automatic humidity pump and digital temp controls and I was really looking forward to not having to worry about it as much this year! Maybe if I just wait until day 19 or 20, or the first pip to raise humidity? That would shorten the time that the other eggs are at higher humidity.
Since the Ova-Easy is designed as a incubator/hatcher, doesn't it tell you in the instructions how to do it?
It doesn't have specific directions on staggered hatching, just basic info on recommended incubating or hatching humidity levels, but I just read through the section on humidity again carefully, and it does have a note (after giving general guidlines of 40-50% RH for incubation, and 60%+ for hatching and explaining how to measure average weight loss) where it says "In all cases the humidity for hatching needs to be high. Because of the short duration involved water/weight loss will not be significantly affected." I assume this is referring to the eggs that are NOT currently hatching? I guess I will just have to try it out and see for myself! I was just wondering if anyone else on here had done a similar weekly staggered hatch and had any tips from their experience.
I am on day 2, 0, and counting on staggered hatches as well. I have the incubating eggs in one cabinet, the hatching trays in another. I do have a couple styro bators and a 2 tier small cabinet to use in an emergency, but thus far haven't needed to. Added a little 7 egg brinsea to the group this year to take eggs in to the school, so could use that for mini-hatches if I needed to, as well.
I end up jotting the number of the lockdown day on the eggs and have a clip board hanging on the bator listing what's in there to help keep track. Only had one episode of peeping from the incubator cabinet last year.
I have a 3 tier turner with a place for hatching tray down below. I don't like to hatch in there as the humidity is an issue and the DUST! Dirty, dirty. Those little guys fling miniscule feather hairs everywhere. I like to keep it confined to the hatcher, easier for cleaning and upkeep.
Meant to add that I DO use the hatching tray on the bottom as a handy place to incubate eggs damaged in transit (shipped eggs with wonky air cells) and as a place to put the clears when I'm candling.
The girls and roosters are gearing up. I switched on the lights a week ago, 2 days ago I got 1 egg, yesterday I got 2, today I got 4. Welcome "spring"! Looking forward to a test hatch setting here in a couple days. Once they are good and fertile, can start the kids's project going with the school.
My jumbo coturnix arrived, box bashed in on the side, but all safe in their foam. Nice BIG eggs, just gorgeous. They are bigger than my silver/tuxedo cortunix eggs from earlier this week. I can see some outcrossing for size in my future.
For those that remember my box saga from last week, an update:
Had to wait until today to go in and discuss with Palmyra PO the problem. Sorry, I can't do anything, I'm just a clerk, go to Whitewater. It shows it delivered.
Called Whitewater (got tired of driving over there) and finally, thank Bob, I got someone who wanted to help me. VERY nice lady, asked if I got my eggs fine today, discussed the saga of the eggs and described last Saturday and Monday's chain of events. She tracked down GPS of the carrier, looks like at the time my box got marked delivered, he was delivering another box a couple miles away with a similar street number (though totally different street name). She suspects he dropped both boxes there, and tentatively confirmed that GPS didn't show him at my place that day. She is going to check into it. If they find the box, we're to mark it damaged/refused so the seller can claim insurance. If it's not found, seller would claim non-delivered/missplaced, so hopefully can recoop some funds. Hopefully will get this straightened out soon.
Good luck tracking your wayward package. Hopefully you will still get some eggs for the hatch.