The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. TJordan

TJordan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2014
    Lower Alabama

Good luck. We want pictures of them all. To bad your not near me. You could toss in a Black Australorp into the mixing pot [​IMG]

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Get the eggs that have fertile on the carton.

3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Check this out! A frizzled, or frazzled..or what ever it is..Parakeet!

4. JoyfulPromise

JoyfulPromise Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Fostoria, MI
    So for those of you who do a lot of staggered hatching, how do you manage the humidity?[​IMG] I am planning to do my first staggered hatching this Spring in my new (to me) Brinsea Ova-Easy 190. It has 3 automatic turning shelves, and a place for 1 hatching tray on the bottom, so my plan was to fill up one tray each week and move them down until they are on the bottom floor to hatch. In my LG styrobaters I did a dry hatch for most of the incubation, and only bumped the humidity up to 60-70% for the last 3 days, which worked fine. Can I do basically the same thing in the Ova-Easy with the staggered hatching, and assume that the 3 days of higher humidity won't hurt the eggs that are only 1 or two weeks along?

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I never, ever use the plugs. Not even in the beginning. Haven't for yrs. I have pretty good hatches. Not always on the shipped eggs, but finding out that having a rooster back there sure is nice..better hatches all the way!
    Sold my latest boy, getting to crow too often, now, I'm waiting on a Blue Copper Marans boy to get old enough. A few months to go.
    Will have to find eggs for the hatch a long from someone close by.

6. aplynn

aplynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2015
    Buxton, Maine

That is some AWSOME info. The hens I hope will go broody are young they just started laying eggs about 2-3 weeks ago and they are bantam silkies, I got them spacifically for their broody nature. I hope it works would be nice to have some mommy baby pics to add to my collection lol and no more bator

7. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    I use 2 incubators - one to incubate in and one to hatch - so I can't help you there. But I am interested in other's answers as I will be building a big cabinet incubator. [​IMG]

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Congrats!! look at that color!!! love loveeeeee

[​IMG]awwww I am sorry

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

AND very pretty in the bator!!!

[​IMG]
    We dont have too much info in the incu thread collected yet, as most are incu in bators
    but this is whats in the notes, perhaps you want to read some

BROODY HENS
    Encourage Hens to Hatch Eggs http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/encourage-hens-to-hatch-eggs.aspx
    SHOULD I move my BROODY mamma? discussion begins post #28264 post #28269
    Broody Hens CLICK HERE
    Letting Broody Hens Hatch & Raise Chicks CLICK HERE

Encouraging or Discouraging Broodiness CLICK HERE

Broody Hens versus Incubators CLICK HERE

tons more info on fowl and incubation https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubating-w-friends-helpful-notes-links-informational-post-links
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Awesome!

I've got two broodies and hopefully will be getting more soon. Broodies are a lot of work, but once they have chicks they replace electrical heat lights quite nicely, which I really enjoy. How do you promote it? There is some great advice in early posts. For me, it just kind of happens when I don't expect it. [​IMG]

Do you have a farmers market near you? You might find some good hatchable eggs there as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by